• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My latest training session

muttley

Interesting. Our dojo does Taikyoku 1 pretty much every class. Even advanced classes. We use it to warm up and get ourselves in kata mode, so to speak. For as many times as I've done it, and as truly simple as it is, I can still improve. Sometimes I feel my balance isn't quite right on turns, sometimes I don't pivot my front foot enough on turns, my stance my be too narrow on some steps, etc. The old "ren ma" mentality.

Might be difference in styles, but when we do kata we always do Taikyoku sono Ichi and Taikyoku sono San (we do Taikyoku sono Ni sometimes but not always). While they seem basic on the surface, there is a lot of good stuff in them...I'm still working on getting all of the stance transitions right.

Just curious...how is the Kyokushin version of Kokutsu Dachi different? That's all I know at this point, my previous style (TKD) has an L-stance which I keep going back to when I get tired or lazy.

Most pressure on the back leg with the from only having 20% weight on it.

It can be a more relaxing stance but after a while the rear leg starts to ache.

Taiyoku is something that a lot of Kyu grades may not be aware of nowadays.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Interesting. Our dojo does Taikyoku 1 pretty much every class. Even advanced classes. We use it to warm up and get ourselves in kata mode, so to speak. For as many times as I've done it, and as truly simple as it is, I can still improve. Sometimes I feel my balance isn't quite right on turns, sometimes I don't pivot my front foot enough on turns, my stance my be too narrow on some steps, etc. The old "ren ma" mentality.

Might be difference in styles, but when we do kata we always do Taikyoku sono Ichi and Taikyoku sono San (we do Taikyoku sono Ni sometimes but not always). While they seem basic on the surface, there is a lot of good stuff in them...I'm still working on getting all of the stance transitions right.

Just curious...how is the Kyokushin version of Kokutsu Dachi different? That's all I know at this point, my previous style (TKD) has an L-stance which I keep going back to when I get tired or lazy.

Excellent explanation, I read that last night but was on scene guard at work and didn't think it appropriate to post a reply!

Shotokan Kokutsu :

http://50.6.62.250/images/images24/P5080003.JPG

Kyokushin kokutsu :

hqdefault.jpg

Excellent explanation, I read that last night but was on scene guard at work and didn't think it appropriate to post a reply!

Shotokan Kokutsu :

http://50.6.62.250/images/images24/P5080003.JPG

Kyokushin kokutsu :

hqdefault.jpg

This stance is similar to what we do in Wado (with the heel being lifted from the floor), in Shotokan especially the KUGB we had the front foot flat on the floor.

I have always liked this stance as I really like how the stance and weight transfer changes.

In Wado ryu we call the stance in the second picture Nekoashi (cat stance)

Same here my friend, thank you for bailing me out. :lol:

Great to see you fellow Wado practitioner.

In Wado ryu we call the stance in the second picture Nekoashi (cat stance)

In my studies, the pic is kokutsu dachi. Nekoashi dachi is very similar; the front foot would be closer to the back foot. The pic does seem a bit closer than usual, but pics can be deceiving. Everyone's stance is their own as well.