• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mouthguards

neoravencroft

So I lost my original mouth guard that I use for sparring, so I want to ask you guys on what kind of mouth guard I should get, such as brand, single guard, or double guard?

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are several very good brands available form all the martial arts supplies stores on and offline. The choice should match the risk level and type of impact intensity expected during training.

The best mouthguards are designed to protect the both top and bottom teeth AND the jaw in a way that will dissipate an impact and prevent or reduce a potentially dangerous concussion. The professional grade ones can cost almost a hundred US Dollars.

I cannot recommend the Opro custom guards enough. I got one of the Pro-Impact ones after years of using different dentist made ones and the fit of the Opro is even better and unobtrusive than the ones the dentist made for me. Had absolutely no issues with breathing either.

http://mouthguards.opro.com/custom-home

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I cannot recommend the Opro custom guards enough. I got one of the Pro-Impact ones after years of using different dentist made ones and the fit of the Opro is even better and unobtrusive than the ones the dentist made for me. Had absolutely no issues with breathing either.

http://mouthguards.opro.com/custom-home

I'm with Danielle on this, wholeheartedly!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm a bit of a rebel and don't wear gum-guards unless at competitions or grading.

I seem to think in my mind that it hinders my performance.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

I'm a bit of a rebel and don't wear gum-guards unless at competitions or grading.

Ouch! Your dentist must love you. Not even for class sparring? Besides teeth, mouthguards prevent and reduce the risk of concussion so I always wear mine.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Ouch! Your dentist must love you. Not even for class sparring? Besides teeth, mouthguards prevent and reduce the risk of concussion so I always wear mine.

Not even class sparring, however I am generally sparring with the kids, teaching them to fight.

If I was fighting an adult who was very able, I would wear a mouth-guard.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the consensus here- get one! The role they play in concussion prevention is large. Not to mention the high dollar value of most dental work. That said, I don't go overboard with custom models. I've survived quire well for most controlled sparring with the higher end "boil and bite" models even though they are less than ideal.

Funky gums do a great custom fit mouthguard. They're expensive starting around £70 but after buying one I'll never go back to a boil and bite. The fit is exceptional and doesn't feel bulky in my mouth, I always gagged with the boil and bites. They can print any design you like on them too, I have the Joker and "why so serious?" on mine :D

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Funky gums do a great custom fit mouthguard. They're expensive starting around £70 but after buying one I'll never go back to a boil and bite. The fit is exceptional and doesn't feel bulky in my mouth, I always gagged with the boil and bites. They can print any design you like on them too, I have the Joker and "why so serious?" on mine :D

Mo.

That's pretty good, I will look into that. :)