• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Soto/Uchi uke & Chudan variants: History and variations

Slingblade01

The purpose of my inquiry is not to understand the application. That, for the most part, is clear. I am more interested in which styles practice each of these methods of chambering. Do any styles practice both? My guess is not.

Or better yet, help me classify styles strictly on their chambering method, specifically styles as taught by Funakoshi and Toyama, and to a lesser degree, Mabuni and Chibana.

Does Shotokan (Funakoshi) teach a punch style chamber or an across-the-body style chamber?

Does Shudokan (Toyama) teach a punch style chamber or an across-the-body style chamber?

Does Shito-ryu (Mabuni) teach a punch style chamber or an across-the-body style chamber?

Does Chibana teach a punch style chamber or an across-the-body style chamber?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I suppose I can put in a word for Chibana Sensei, as my style comes from him. Our chamber would be closest to the "punch-style chamber" you mention, although it really tends to be more of a "bridge" than a "punch"

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

In the branch of ISKF (shotokan) I train with we use...

Soto uke (coming from outside) a punch variant.

Ocho uke (coming from inside) an across body variant.

Chudan or jodan, it makes no difference. Same chambering, different target.

It's clear these fundamentals have been lost in some cases due to a heavy emphasis on tournament karate training. At a recent seminar with Sensei Yaguchi, he seemed unimpressed and frustrated that he had to correct our ocho uke so many times and made the entire class repeat movements 10-15 of Bassai Dai about 10 times before everyone finally chambered their uke properly.

Many people were simply going from chokozuki to ocho uke without any chambering at all. Just simply turning their body and twisting their arm upward... In our organization, this is simply incorrect.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Well, I suppose I can put in a word for Chibana Sensei, as my style comes from him. Our chamber would be closest to the "punch-style chamber" you mention, although it really tends to be more of a "bridge" than a "punch"

Wastelander, thank you for sharing that. Is bridge a more appropriate term for the chamber or are you referring to something different? Can you provide a youtube sample?

Wastelander, thank you for sharing that. Is bridge a more appropriate term for the chamber or are you referring to something different? Can you provide a youtube sample?

Does this help at all?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society