• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone's club insist on a specific gi design?

muttley

To the bold type above...

I like that, and at times, I wasn't even that brave when Dai-Soke was alive because to him, "white is right", and that's all you better wear on HIS floor. Even on someone else's floor, he'd not like it, and wouldn't be afraid to let you know it, but he'd be polite.

I'd test the waters whenever I could, but he'd test HIS waters and down right drown me. If you get my point!

:)

His rationale is that black belts have earned the privilege of wearing what they want. Once they reach dan ranking, their training is their own and they can decide what to wear for it. We've got everything from the very proper, traditional Korean guy who wears a starched and pressed immaculately white gi every single class to the guy with the dingy faded black gi with the sleeves chopped off.

It helps that it's a small, non-commercial program so we don't have to worry much about looking good for potential customers.

I agree. While the training is the students own, his floor was HIS, and while you were an honored guest, the floor was still HIS. White gi ONLY...clean...tater free!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wearing a uniform from the specific dojo is a way of making sure there is a uniformity in the class. I require students get a gi from us. They are only 35, I can understand not liking it if it's more expensive but you know some places charge enrollment t fees, deposited, CONTRACTS. I do None of this so what's a 35 dollar gi? I think if it's a good place just do it and move on. I wore a cheap gi for a year before you could really see it fade.

I chose black because of the fact that they stay cleaner looking, but also I like that it's a bit different. Traditional karate/tang soo do has a white uniform, I like to stand out lol

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Our (shotokan) Club does not dictate the brand, model or style of our gi. As long as it is clean and tidy, and we get the Club logo sewed on to the gi, then we're good.

I joined the Club a year a go and bought a very cheap cotton/synthetic fabric gi which i used for one season. Now using a Kaiten Dynamic which to me was a fantastic upgrade. The Price of it was about 4 times higher (around 65£) than my first gi, but the quality is way better and the cuts and the ventilation in the gi is way better.

However this one suits my needs, i do concider buying a Seishin gi though. From what i've heard its top notch if you love karate.

Our (shotokan) Club does not dictate the brand, model or style of our gi. As long as it is clean and tidy, and we get the Club logo sewed on to the gi, then we're good.

I joined the Club a year a go and bought a very cheap cotton/synthetic fabric gi which i used for one season. Now using a Kaiten Dynamic which to me was a fantastic upgrade. The Price of it was about 4 times higher (around 65£) than my first gi, but the quality is way better and the cuts and the ventilation in the gi is way better.

However this one suits my needs, i do concider buying a Seishin gi though. From what i've heard its top notch if you love karate.

Ah the Gi of my friend the KarateNerd, Jesse Enkamp - they are good Gis, I own 3 myself. I would recommend one. :)

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Ah the Gi of my friend the KarateNerd, Jesse Enkamp - they are good Gis, I own 3 myself. I would recommend one. :)

Can you compare it's cut to anything else - ie Shureido or Tokaido? I looked into it, but I'm so limited in what fits right. Traditional cut gis cut like a Shureido are the only ones.

Can you compare it's cut to anything else - ie Shureido or Tokaido? I looked into it, but I'm so limited in what fits right. Traditional cut gis cut like a Shureido are the only ones.

They are similar to Shureido, good snap effect, look extra thick but are like wearing a super light weight, thats why I love them.

You can pick them up new for less than some Shureido's.

Viper is also of a similarity but not near the quality of the finishing.

They are traditional, shorter bottoms and elongated top endings.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Our club doesn't stipulate anything specific, the only restrictions in terms of what you wear are that you must wear a white Gi, your belt must be within the club's Syllabus (the exception to this is if you're a beginner from another club), your pads and Mitts must be EKF/WKF approved and either blue or Red as per competition standard.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

My school was all white for lower ranks, unless you were in the black belt club which allowed you black pants with a white top.

One instructor introduced all blue uniforms but those didn't last very long.

Once you make the dan ranks you have a lot of leeway, you are at that level allowed to wear a red top, which most do. You can also wear the white top with black trim which I do. When I started an all black gi meant CI but that is relaxed now and anyone can wear all black, I have also seen some wear blue tops with black pants.

It's very nice having the choice! They have never restricted the brand or cut, but when testing one must wear a traditional long sleeve do-gi. Most students wear Century because that's what the school sells.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

For nothing, I fell in love with Blue gi's when they were first offered back in the late 1970's, early 1980's shortly after the PKA started selling them to the public, as long with their Star and Stripe gi's to honor those that were worn by PKA Kickboxers such as Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, and Jeff Smith.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In Kyokushinkai we do have a "special" look, to our suits.

The cut of the Gis and the weight of the cotton used is what makes the Gi a kyokushin Gi!

The legs are cut to be more 'baggy', the cotton used is a lighter weight to the jacket.

The Jacket is a much heavier weight cotton and the sleeves are shorter, then to that add the Kyokushin Kanji is embroidered on the left lapel.

There is one specific maker, Isami, that is refereed to as the official 'Gi' to be worn by all, but it is generally not law!

At a cost of £150 ($220+) many are pleased by the none lawful status. ;-)

There is a second maker, Ichi Ban which make Kyokushin Gis, about £90 ($130+) if you want the cut and Kanji.

The grading I was at allowed me to see that many other suit makers are worn by students and some even have the Kanji as a patch sewn to the jackets lapel, why is this a reverent point to make?

The only thing I I see as being law that is adhered to is the colour, traditional cotton, bleached or unbleached, not red or blue or ...etc, white!

My sons has a special suit, (he doesn't do traditional Karate) he does a kick boxing hybrid type system.

His systems fighting pinnacle has the students fight in just the trousers, the jacket is not worn. Then in the dojo the students are permitted to wear the full suit or the replace the jacket with an 'official' tee, or a plain white tee.

So I'm a little annoyed that they want the whole suit to be brought for them, they are the only supplier, and its only worn in gradings ... mostly!

I'm wondering if we should maybe consider if the suit is just training attire or a uniform then we can better judge or request this or that one is worn ?

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.