• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could he have tested and really earned his black belt?

Yes, you have to find out who he tested with, how long ago, etc.

Is he respecting his black belt by becoming out of shape?

No.

The question is, if he were to test for his black belt right now, would he pass the test?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not a blackbelt, but I do TKD, and I just witnessed my dojangs BB test ...... eeekkkkkk. Talking about rough! I don't know about schools in UK, but to get your black belt in my dojang, you have to be physically fit. There's a "power camp" which is the physical part of the test. A one and a half mile run is REQUIRED for the test. And you have to do it in 13 minutes or fail. You have to do various other physical activities (sit-ups, push-ups, leg raises, stationary and jumping kicks .... the list goes on). That doesn't include the tech part of the test (which is sparring, breaking, forms, step sparring, self defense and free self defense). Most people at my school prepare months ahead of time, like run a mile and a half or more for a year before the test. So if someone was overweight, they wouldn't be for long.

That's about right. I took my test 3 weeks ago. We did 100 burpies, 100 jumping jacks, 100 sit ups, ran back and fourth 100 times.(Mat half court length), Did the same with lunges. This took about 30 min.

Then we did forms, 8 Hapkedo pivots, One step Sparing. I then Spared with 2 second degree black belts did my breaks and It was over.

It was extreme.

Making Dan ranking isn't always about physical prowess or impressive arsenals of technique, there is also a mental and spiritual component as well. Maybe this person is out of shape, but has exhibited "Black Belt Attitude." I'm reminded of a story I heard about Hwang Kee, founder of the Moo Duk Kwan (who just passed away recently). During Dan testing one time in the United States, Grandmaster Hwang was sitting at the testing board table and was in quiet meditation (perhaps even sleeping,... we'll never know). As he sat there, eyes closed, the senior Ko Dan Ja continued to run the test, respecting GM Hwang's "self-time." One student was called up and when making Chun Be, let out such a kiap that he aroused GM Hwang from his meditations. Grandmaster Hwang Kee told the student to sit down. The other Master's asked him why he instructed the student to sit when the test had not begun. GM Hwang replied (in Korean of course), "But, he has already PASSED his test!!! Why should he have to stand with the rest of them?!?!"

So there is more to being a Black Belt than having sharp kicks and snappy punches and powerful blocks,...

Recently in our central DoJang, my Kwan Jang Nim had called me into his office and said, "I wanted to call you in here to get your input about something. I had aready mentioned this to the other Masters and I wanted to make sure it was unanimous. There is one student here who has always exhibited a great deal of dedication and has made it to Cho Dan Bo 4 or 5 times now after training, taking a break and returning and earning it again, and because of his age and health he won't ever test for Black Belt if he's left to his own on the decision,... so I want to award him his Black Belt, and then in six months he'll take his Challenge [the physical part of our Dan testing process]." He told me the student's name and I totally agreed.

Don't just judge a book by its cover. This person may have more "under the hood" than you give him credit for. Perhaps his instructor has seen it and his rank is the result of that revelation.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

LOL - well-nourished...

I would have complemented his center of gravity...

:D

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Good first post JaseP.

But what do I know?

This is my fourth day here :D ...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

• 3 weeks later...

I am grateful for the diversity of the blackbelts at my dojang. I have found with each different body type comes different strengths.

Young & Svelt: speed, height of technique, power

Older & Frailer: balance, accuracy

Larger & Rounded: more precise in katas, stances & lines of motion

Each group teaches me something new.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo