• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strikers mind vs Grapplers mind

Another thing to consider is that grapplers tend to favor a one on one concepts. Not saying this is the case for all of them but, I know in our karate class we spend a good deal of time practicing "mass attack" concepts in our karate with very little, if any, sport applications. We also practice one on one defense scenarios but even our defense techniques that involve grappling in a one on one scenario, the instructors are quick to remind you that you need to disable your opponent quickly because it's likely that your opponents buddies are coming in quickly to stab, punch, kick you in the back.

Good point, this is a really good point. Although, it's my personal feeling as a teacher that mass attack situations are better won by running or not getting into them. I teach knife and gun self defense at higher ranks, but I'm always very clear this is only desired If you have nowhere to run.

Running is always the best option.

As a quick note, the main thing I see as effective for this is to line opponents up, and defend against one at a time. We do double team sparring and this is the main thing I tell them, put your opponents in a line.

That is what I was taught in Judo. I don't know what school CT went to, but we were taught and trained on fighting 2 and 3 on 1 at my Judo school. Mostly it was how to line up your opponents and throws them into each other. Just keeping your attacker all in one big clump together and give them everything you've got

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt