• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What gloves do you spar with?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use these: http://www.combatsports.com/csi/gloves-1/mma-sparring-gloves/combat-sports-mma-sparring-gloves-2.html

They leave my hands open for grappling, but are more forgiving on my partners than 4oz MMA gloves. Of course, they are a bit bulkier, because of that, so they do make it harder to slide your hands through small spaces. Even so, I like them a lot! My Sensei has a lace-up pair that are the same, and he loves them, although lately he's been using the Shureido WKF approved gear too.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

If you compete, or train with those who do, you should probably use what's required at the tournaments you attend.

If not, I'd suggest discussing it with your sensei and those who would be on the receiving end of your punches. There's a safety issue.

Also, it depends on your style. If you include take-downs in your sparring, 16oz boxing gloves might be awkward, or if you do fairly hard contact, dipped foam won't cut it.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

If you compete, or train with those who do, you should probably use what's required at the tournaments you attend.

If not, I'd suggest discussing it with your sensei and those who would be on the receiving end of your punches. There's a safety issue.

Also, it depends on your style. If you include take-downs in your sparring, 16oz boxing gloves might be awkward, or if you do fairly hard contact, dipped foam won't cut it.

Good advise, John, but what gloves do YOU use?

Thats not something we train. If we would I would imagine it taking place during dojo-sparring that we do without gloves. I use these when training for competition(without intention of competing, just like the training) Grabbing wrists or Gi with these gloves works allright though. The movement of the fingers is slightly restricted.

Back when I started karate two kinds of gloves were used. One was a dipped foam type that covered the whole fist with a sleeve for the thumb and a strap for the fingers. This is the basic type available almost everywhere. The other type we used was a thinner glove that resembles a mountain bike glove or weight lifting glove with extra padding on the fingers and knuckles.

Now I use only bare hands. Everyone is expected to condition their hands to at least withstand the impact of hitting something and to learn to make a proper tight fist to avoid injuries.

In the dojo/Hombu, us old schools train bare handed. Safety Gear didn't come out until the late 70's, invented by Jhoon Rhee.

In time, we adopted Safety Gear, as sold by Century MA Supply, but more for a safety factor at tournaments, and not so much in the dojo/Hombu. But, insurance requirements have changed everything, and in that, no one can engage in Kumite unless their wearing ALL of the required safety gear.

Those of us old school have signed waivers to satisfy our insurance requirements. Greg and I have one goal...DESTROY one another, and we wear no safety gear whatsoever during our Kumite sessions, and those watching can only grimace.

Century MA Punch and Kick gear is MANDATORY per our insurance. Insurance can be a drag, but a necessary drag.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!