• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A JJ school has finally opened up in my area. Can I get everyone thoughts on this? The Schedule seems pretty typical for a JJ school, Gi, no gi, and a smathering of Judo, Kickboxing, and MMA classes here and there. My main concern is that they don't list a lineage on the website. Has anyone heard of these guys, or one of their affiliate schools?

Ethos JJ and MA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Their lineage, while sparse, can be found in their website. I had to look at each tab, and read everything to find any trace of any lineage. Visit them and go from there, and visit them as many times as needed to get a full picture to decide from.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It took a little research, but the CI was trained by a Gracie trained Black belt. I'm just not use to a school that doesn't laud their connection of the Gracies, not matter how obscure.

I'll be attending a class. I feel back leaving the karate school I just joined a few months ago, but my heart is in grappling. I may still stay in Karate for my 5-year-olds sake, he just earned his first stripe and is so proud of himself, but its just good to see more grappling in this area.

Yeah, I even had to go back to the coaches coach before I was certain that it was a BJJ school. That said, it's a heck of a good lineage so it'd be worth a shot to go and check out. Let us know what you think after you visit.

Yeah, I even had to go back to the coaches coach before I was certain that it was a BJJ school. That said, it's a heck of a good lineage so it'd be worth a shot to go and check out. Let us know what you think after you visit.

So from your limited view, this school gets the Tallgeese seal of approval? I'll probably be heading there in the next few weeks, they give a full week of free classes, so it should be interesting.

Any red flags should watch out for, TG?

Judodad, I think it's defiantly worth checking out.

The biggest red flag I'd worry about is being evasive about either the instructors rank in BJJ or his lineage. There's a lot of other arts bouncing around on that web site, this is not a bad thing, but but I'd make certain the rank they are selling BJJ on is an actual BJJ rank and from another art (we see this sometimes when people have rank in JJJ and claim BJJ.)

I'm certainly not saying that this is the case here, as the site identifies the coaches coach and therefore is easily verifiable. But when checking out any kind of BJJ school I always list the aforementioned paragraph as a box that should be checked.

Good luck, I'm certain it will be a good experience. Let us know how it goes.

The biggest red flag I'd worry about is being evasive about either the instructors rank in BJJ or his lineage. There's a lot of other arts bouncing around on that web site, this is not a bad thing, but but I'd make certain the rank they are selling BJJ on is an actual BJJ rank and from another art (we see this sometimes when people have rank in JJJ and claim BJJ.)

I'm certainly not saying that this is the case here, as the site identifies the coaches coach and therefore is easily verifiable. But when checking out any kind of BJJ school I always list the aforementioned paragraph as a box that should be checked.

Thanks! Yeah, another school in town I was looking at a while back had this problem. He seemed to be linked to the gracies, even held a seminar their once, but when you dove into the masters history, he was just a retired cop with a judo background. If all you know have Judo and police self-defence, they why not sell it as such? It seemed to be the kind of school that would hop on every bandwagon that would put gis in the dojo. Don't tell me you teach Judo, BJJ, MMA, Systema, Krav Maga, and AIkido if you only have BJJ, MMA, and a single Judo class a week. Its great if you KNOW these arts, but if you don't have classes dedicated to it, I'm going to assume you're just trying to sell me on resume alone. The whole place gave me a bad vibe, and I ended up in Karate, which is why I am THRILLED to discover a BJJ school, a seemingly REAL one, in town.

Don't get it twisted, Karate is a wonderful art, and my school is a great school with a knowledgeable master and plenty of talented black belts, and a great kids program for my son... but I'm a judo guy, and frankly, Karate is just kind of boring in comparison. I need to get back into grappling, striking arts just are not my cup of tea. I feel like I'm mentally and physically designed for grappling.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! Yeah, another school in town I was looking at a while back had this problem. He seemed to be linked to the gracies, even held a seminar their once, but when you dove into the masters history, he was just a retired cop with a judo background. If all you know have Judo and police self-defence, they why not sell it as such? It seemed to be the kind of school that would hop on every bandwagon that would put gis in the dojo. Don't tell me you teach Judo, BJJ, MMA, Systema, Krav Maga, and AIkido if you only have BJJ, MMA, and a single Judo class a week. Its great if you KNOW these arts, but if you don't have classes dedicated to it, I'm going to assume you're just trying to sell me on resume alone. The whole place gave me a bad vibe, and I ended up in Karate, which is why I am THRILLED to discover a BJJ school, a seemingly REAL one, in town.

Don't get it twisted, Karate is a wonderful art, and my school is a great school with a knowledgeable master and plenty of talented black belts, and a great kids program for my son... but I'm a judo guy, and frankly, Karate is just kind of boring in comparison. I need to get back into grappling, striking arts just are not my cup of tea. I feel like I'm mentally and physically designed for grappling.

Any more word on checking this place out Judodad?

• 1 month later...

Yeah... I checked it out as well. It's certainly legit. Hope you're enjoying.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."