• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Conquering My Fears

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I remeber the first time I really got walloped a roundhouse kick that dislocated my jaw. it was so painful and my ears were ringing and the worst part was; it was an accident I had jumped into the kick because I was so scared of getting hit in the first place! It took a long time before I could get back in the ring

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

Laurie, I got my butt whooped the first time I ever sparred-received an injury from a guy trying to show off. I had the same reaction and can relate! Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

My experience was a little different...I had a lot of confidence from the beginning. When I reached brown belt however, things started to seem harder...I felt like my classmates were becoming better fighters than I was, and I was having so much difficulty fighting them. Then, when I got kicked in the eye, I developed a major sparring phobia and basically had to re-learn how to spar altogether. I basically had to do what you did, and FORCE myself to spar rough like I used to despite the risk. Even though I was risking getting hurt by being aggressive, to be passive would risk getting my butt destroyed. So: nice article, definitely one I can relate to :up:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 6 months later...

I am still new at KF so I'm going through the posts. Your is yet another good story of which I've found so many. In my neiborhood we didn't have much entertainment so scrappin was just something to do. When I first sparred I was knocked on my can to control my enthusiasm, but either way you look at if, my first time sparring I was knocked on my can. From that point on I went on to experience many of the same things. Thanks for sharing !

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Nice article, Laurie. I can relate to the public speaking fear. But, for some reason, I am cool as a cucumber in front of the TKD class. Sometimes, I think I get so into it, that I think the students just want me to get on with it, and stop rambling....but, I had to get up there one time first to do it!

You have great preserverance, Laurie! :karate:

Excellent post. This has helped some with my fear of hip throws. Can't stand them. They scare the daylights out of me. Luckily we only do two or three.

I can see why you refused to spar. We were doing bag kicks one day, and I went with one of the black belts. We were doing hook kicks and I did something wrong because the next thing I know I as on the ground gasping for air. :lol:

I wouldn't be laughing then but nowadays we all joke about it.

It's nice to see a leader came out of yourself. :)