• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it too late?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

It's NEVER to late...NEVER!! Besides, the MA isn't a respecter of age; it's for all ages!! 16?!?! Many great MA Legends/Masters, started at your age, or later...So, you're in good company!! Don't give it another thought...WELCOME TO THE MA!!

Train hard...train well!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Guys thank you.

You're more than welcome!! When that MA bug bites you, and it will, you won't hardly remember that you once thought that you were too old. I look forward to hopefully meeting you on the floor someway, somewhere, and somehow soon, and train together as brothers/sisters of the MA!!

Train hard...train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 10 months later...

So if it's not too late to chime in, it's never too late. I started practicing at 20 years old, having always wanted to as a child but never having the opportunity. I'm 32 now and still going. I'm not the inspirational story here though. Right around the same time I signed up for TKD classes at my first school, my friend Jeff also signed up. At the time he was 45. 4 Years later we had the opportunity to test for our black belts together as as it turned out another 4.5 years later we tested for our 2nd Dan's together. We've both since moved on from that school to other things but the point is, he started at 45 and is still going 12 years later. So at 16, you have more than enough time to do anything you want.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but here goes anyway.

I returned to martial arts just before I turned 40. I'm doing OK.

There's a gentleman in our class who is older than me, and unlike me, he'd never trained in anything before in his whole life. So he started from the very beginning at some age after 40.

He goes to all the competitions. I don't take much interest because I personally am not competitive, but I do know he keeps coming back with loads of trophies.

Here is a point of view based on reading biographies of several well-known martial arts masters to prove that they didn’t start as early as some might think. The average age these masters and reknowned practitioners started to train is in their teens, not 6,7 or 8. 16 years old is a great age to start and definitely not “too late”. Anyone can verify this by simply doing a little research online or books. Again many who spread and developed martial arts beyond their country of origin started when they were in their late teens or as adults I their 20’s(military men, for example). Consider Chuck Norris. He was much older than 7 or 16 when he started training in Korea.