• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to stop been stiff?

ozm8

Hello when I'm at Karate they always keep telling me to loosen up and that Im stiff. But I'm not even trying to be stiff and even when im trying to be loose im still apparently stiff like wtf. Im just thinking its either anxiety or the medication i take that makes me stiff and there is nothing i can do about it. The worst thing is they do think like come up and shake my shoulder saying loosen up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This happens to me as well and I do not realize I have tensed up. Sometimes I have to actively relax my muscles and even them I'm sometimes told to loosen up. If I find something that works I'll pass it along, otherwise realize your not alone :)

When I played football, our coaches would have us run while holding potato chips between our thumb and index finger for a 100 yd dash. Whoever had broken chips had to do it again. And again.

Adapting it to MA, maybe hold the chips while throwing modified punches and kicks. Maybe hold raw eggs. Usually if you can relax your hands, the rest will follow.

Try it and report back. I'd like some feedback it it actually worked or not.

Well, I believe before someone's not stiff, they first MUST harness control! That requires time in both the solo and partner training.

Once control is harnessed, one can be as stiff or as light as one wants to be depending on the current circumstances. That too takes time, knowing when and when not to be stiff. However, MA techniques are suppose to be stiff, yet controlled at all times.

:)

eidt: spelling

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is the problem that almost everyone have when they start , it is a learning process like every other activity more or less , comes with practice and lots of it ...providing you know what you are aiming for and set goals to get there .

practice consciously thinking your limbs are like rubber ,tighten your fists only so much that forearms are not tense , breathing correctly in and out from abdomen will help you to stay in a relax soft mode ,

the shortest of kime only at the point of impact is the only time the body is tensed , fraction of a second is the aim and quickly back in the relax mode again ready for the next move.

never give up !

This is the problem that almost everyone have when they start , it is a learning process like every other activity more or less , comes with practice and lots of it ...providing you know what you are aiming for and set goals to get there .

practice consciously thinking your limbs are like rubber ,tighten your fists only so much that forearms are not tense , breathing correctly in and out from abdomen will help you to stay in a relax soft mode ,

the shortest of kime only at the point of impact is the only time the body is tensed , fraction of a second is the aim and quickly back in the relax mode again ready for the next move.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When I started Wado, my instructor was always telling me to relax as my Shotokan ways were very rigid.

I have now mastered the concept of power on attack and relax after movement.

It took me a year to do it though.

Pers has made an excellent point.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

How long have you been practicing?

I've found that anytime I learn something new - whether it be MA, music, a new exercise - it's always kind of stiff and robotic at first. With time and repetition it becomes more familiar and I'm better able to relax.

When you learn something new, the neural pathways involved in the movement strengthen their connections. At the same time, the unneeded neural pathways atrophy and become weaker. As this process continues, the movement becomes more and more efficient but it takes time and countless, correct repetitions.