• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punches or Palms?

Doomed

I think it depends how fast one can throw that initial first punch. If your jab isn't fast enough to hit the nose, and the opponent will duck so that your hand makes contact with the forehead, then by all means go for the palm heel strike. However, an improper palm heel strike can do more damage in my opinion than a bad punch.

Teachers are always learning

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think it depends how fast one can throw that initial first punch. If your jab isn't fast enough to hit the nose, and the opponent will duck so that your hand makes contact with the forehead, then by all means go for the palm heel strike. However, an improper palm heel strike can do more damage in my opinion than a bad punch.

That's a valid and solid point!! The right tool for the right job; goes down to make that smart decision, therefore, nothing can replace solid experience/knowledge.

Bruce Lee once said...

"...Then, you better train your entire body." Some wisdom's there, I believe.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That's a valid and solid point!! The right tool for the right job; goes down to make that smart decision, therefore, nothing can replace solid experience/knowledge.

Bruce Lee once said...

"...Then, you better train your entire body." Some wisdom's there, I believe.

:)

Indeed, very wise words. Bruce Lee has some very good phrases for life.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Sorry might repeat what has been mentioned already. But here is my 2 cents worth

What part of the hand used will depend on where you want to hit

Assuming everything else is constant (distance, positioning and you are aiming for the face etc) and you want to choose between a tsuki and taisho, in a street situation - I would prefer to use the palm. Depending on how the palm is positioned ie assuming you don't drive the person;'s nose into his brain, if the thing goes to court - I would presume (dont quote me on this) that an open hand 'slap' like technique is looked more favorably than a closed fist strike.

Also, you never know what diseases the other person might be having and bodily fluid contact is never a good idea. We had a police officer training in our dojo and while attending to a medical emergency , while the officer was helping the victim (I think the guy was mentally unstable), he lunged at officer with a knife. Having no time to draw the gun, he reverse punched the guy and knocked him out. However, he scraped his hand when it made contact with his mouth. As it turns out the person had Hep or HIV cant remember. The police officer was quarantined and I imagine it wouldn't have been a pleasant feeling while waiting to find the test results. Thankful they were negative but you never know on the street.

Lastly, again assuming you are punching to the face, the conditioning of your hand matters as well. I know people who have broken bones in their hand after punching people on the jaw or the forehead. If you break your hand with the first punch thrown, how will you finish the fight or what will you do if there are multiple opponents? Also would depend on whether it is a life or death situation