• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

16 year old Head Instructor

We have a black belt in our class who has been studying for 8 years he assists our sensei with teaching he mainly helps by teaching the newbies and sometimes leads the class when sensei will be late. Now, you might be thinking why a sensei would be late to his class, this is because our sensei is also an Indian Excise Police, taking care of the nation.

I think a lower grade black belt can assist, however certainly not chief instructor.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really nice to see our young generation at such positions. it is the indication of our prosperous future.

It certainly does my friend. :)

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Patrick, his age is but one issue, my biggest concern is his rank. Why even have ranks above blue if everything you need to know is in belt belt? Who is teaching HIM to rank up? Who is teaching students paat blue belt level?

BJJ isn't like other styles. Its isn't uncommon in the BJJ world for purple belts or blue belts to start teaching and running schools. You might be surprised at the skill level of a purple or blue belt in BJJ.

Another issue here that needs to be asked by any prospective client is this: does he teach a skill that I do not have experience with? If this is the case, then why not look into it? I'd learn Wrestling from a 16 year old, because I don't know much Wrestling as it is. Should I let my pride keep me from learning something from someone who is capable of teaching it and has the knowledge to do so? That would be terribly limiting to myself, and I am the only one who loses out. Due to foolish pride.

The Gracies aren't known for setting up McDojos, either.

This is one of those cases where "rank doesn't matter," until it does matter. Then age is thrown on top of it.

Bob, (and anyone else in this thread), what qualifies someone to be a Chief Instructor? What minimum requirements do you have?

Minimums?!?!

Godan, but nothing lower than Sandan!! One that's NOT a beginner of said MA!! Knowledge is everything, and a beginner lacks a lot of that knowledge; while a Sandan, and for surely a Godan, meets the minimums in spades!!

:)

But who sets these standards? Are they set in stone, or are they just the standards you grew up with, are familiar to you, and therefore, are the ones you stand by? To me, in many more "traditional" styles, this adherence to "this" way or "that" way is what shuts many people off to occurrences like this young man and his school.

We are only open-minded to so many things.

Bob, (and anyone else in this thread), what qualifies someone to be a Chief Instructor? What minimum requirements do you have?

Minimums?!?!

Godan, but nothing lower than Sandan!! One that's NOT a beginner of said MA!! Knowledge is everything, and a beginner lacks a lot of that knowledge; while a Sandan, and for surely a Godan, meets the minimums in spades!!

But who sets these standards? Are they set in stone, or are they just the standards you grew up with, are familiar to you, and therefore, are the ones you stand by? To me, in many more "traditional" styles, this adherence to "this" way or "that" way is what shuts many people off to occurrences like this young man and his school.

Who sets the standards? Well, we both know the answer to that question! Nothing is set in stone EXCEPT with the governing body, and therefore, they're followed by those that are affiliated with said governing body. In Houston case, he's within the governing body rules and regulations, and therefore...IT'S NONE OF OUR BUSINESS.

This thread is a discussion of OUR opinions across the board, as implied by the OP, imho!! A healthy discussion, nonetheless. I've my opinions and it's stemmed from the SKKA, and my own personal ideologies.

Am I dead wrong? I'm from the "traditional" ideologies, yet I've an open mind about a lot of things, yet in some things, I'm unyielding. Is my opinion wrong? If so, then we're all wrong, in our opinions, imho!!

I'll admit, that the model that the Gracie's have introduced concerning their instructor program is a unique one, having never been tried before, but that's the Gracie's, and it's their given God right to do so. Having a CI so young and a beginner, for me, is a hard pill to swallow due to my upbringing in the MA.

As you say, Brian, if Houston, for example, has something to offer that I do lack, then by God, I'd be a fool to let my narrow opinion on this matter decide wrongly. My MA journey would be tainted, and scarred. I don't know everything, and Houston and the Gracie's might be able to teach me something new, and if so, I'll be that sponge because my MA betterment deserves it!! Yes, I could separate my opinions and be taught by Houston because the floor deserves and warrants that of me!!

Again, I wish Houston much success, and my opinion or the opinions of others shouldn't matter because he's his own man...that alone, I respect!! The laws of the land say that he can be the CI of his own school...therefore...that's exactly what he is no matter how much I jump up and down and kick my feet in a baby tantrum.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Minimums?!?!

Here's part of what bushido man is getting at with his points (which are spot on) about blues and purples in BJJ. If Godan were the minimum for opening a school, you'd have like 10 in the country.

Let's do the math. Figure 8 years for a bb. That's just a rough figure. Certainly lots of people have taken longer (two decades ago 10 was a minimum.) Now, for 1-3 stripes on that you're looking at 3 years each. That's 9. 5 years each for 4 and 5. That's another 10. So, just at bb you're 19 years in. Now, let's put our 8 back in for the non-bb ranks and you're at 27 years of study before you start teaching at your own school. 30 is probably closer because of time off, injury, variance in promotion, etc.

Now, 18 is the minimum age for bb in most systems. 19 to 20 is more normal, but heck, lets use the minimum. You're then looking at a dude (or gal) that's between 45 and 48 before he can even open a school.

I think by most standards we'd say that those standards are a bit excessive. Particularly considering that so much of the art is rolling. We let people with PhD's start teaching at colleges as soon as they graduate. Doctors, even surgeons are practicing prior to 30, and they're taking on residents to train.

So, for the system, 5 stripes is just logistically out. That said, I'm not a huge fan of such a young blue running a school. But heck, a friend of mine pulled it off in an area where no other jiu jitsu was so, who knows. Like Bob says, it's up to the organizational heads. With BJJ being much less organized that other arts it's not surprising that things like this pop up. At the end of the day, it's a self policing art as well. As long as he's up to the grade, he won't get beat down over it. As to the market supporting a young man like this running a school...time will tell.

Minimums?!?!

Here's part of what bushido man is getting at with his points (which are spot on) about blues and purples in BJJ. If Godan were the minimum for opening a school, you'd have like 10 in the country.

Let's do the math. Figure 8 years for a bb. That's just a rough figure. Certainly lots of people have taken longer (two decades ago 10 was a minimum.) Now, for 1-3 stripes on that you're looking at 3 years each. That's 9. 5 years each for 4 and 5. That's another 10. So, just at bb you're 19 years in. Now, let's put our 8 back in for the non-bb ranks and you're at 27 years of study before you start teaching at your own school. 30 is probably closer because of time off, injury, variance in promotion, etc.

Now, 18 is the minimum age for bb in most systems. 19 to 20 is more normal, but heck, lets use the minimum. You're then looking at a dude (or gal) that's between 45 and 48 before he can even open a school.

I think by most standards we'd say that those standards are a bit excessive. Particularly considering that so much of the art is rolling. We let people with PhD's start teaching at colleges as soon as they graduate. Doctors, even surgeons are practicing prior to 30, and they're taking on residents to train.

So, for the system, 5 stripes is just logistically out. That said, I'm not a huge fan of such a young blue running a school. But heck, a friend of mine pulled it off in an area where no other jiu jitsu was so, who knows. Like Bob says, it's up to the organizational heads. With BJJ being much less organized that other arts it's not surprising that things like this pop up. At the end of the day, it's a self policing art as well. As long as he's up to the grade, he won't get beat down over it. As to the market supporting a young man like this running a school...time will tell.

Solid post!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the elaboration, Alex. Very helpful. Bob, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. I'm just saying that perhaps this young man isn't wrong, either.

Thanks for the elaboration, Alex. Very helpful. Bob, I'm not saying you're wrong at all. I'm just saying that perhaps this young man isn't wrong, either.

I do hear what you're saying, Brian. Perhaps, there's a slim chance that Houston, and others within that governing body are just pawns of that governing body...perhaps.