• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

16 year old Head Instructor

Point of clarification: from reading the articles, it seems like he became head instructor at 17. Certified at 16, teaching full time at 17. Maybe I read it wrong, though.

I was going to raise the point that Danielle did, which I think is a great one: once in a while, you hear of a teenager running a wildly successful business. Of course, they are the rare exception. But that's the point: there are exceptions.

Bob, your list of what CI does actually reads fairly closely to what a business owner does. Change a few words and it's pretty much dead on. I didn't find your yellow belt example to be a good one. That speaks more to me about the marketing aspects of the arts. In your story, the prospective student doesn't respect the school because of the color of the instructors belt. But in reality, the color of the instructors belt is, at best, only a partial indicator of their ability as an instructor. Wearing a black belt is kind of like having a row of trophies in your lobby. It's a marketing thing more so than an actual indication of instruction quality.

I don't think that it's completely inconceivable that there can be a teenager who is a decent (I didn't say great, which he could be, but decent) head instructor. I don't think you can say that. Would you even consider most adult head instructors "decent"?

A teenage business owner will deal with the exact same criticisms. How can you trust the business? The kid will probably just blow your money! How can you trust the instruction at the school? It's the same sort of thing. It's a criticism of mental maturity, experience and responsibility. And yet, kids who check those boxes do exist. What do we do with them? What I do professionally today, I did when I was 15, and I faced some of these thoughts. What to do with me? Should I be held to your idea of what I should be, rather than the idea of what I want to be?

I realize that everyone here is just offering their opinions as an onlooker, not thinking of themselves as the parents of this kid, but it might be something to consider.

So you won't be the teenage business owner's customer. That's your choice. You'd happily have him as your paper boy (kind of a dated reference, heh), but you couldn't trust his business, right? Because he's probably not responsible. He's probably like the teenagers you've known in your life. For the same reason, you couldn't trust him to run a small martial arts school in Mississippi. He can't help anyone. You can't trust his instruction. These criticisms, between business owner and martial arts instructor, aren't dissimilar. You have an idea of what a head instructor should be. And because it doesn't come close to meeting that idea, it's problematic. But don't many adults fail to meet that same idea? Many adults are awful martial arts instructors and terrible, irresponsible business owners.

All of this doesn't mean he won't be the ideal for someone else. It doesn't mean he can't command respect from adults. It doesn't mean he can't reach kids and teenagers in a way many adults can't. And it doesn't mean he can't be a better teacher or business owner.

I believe that a 16 year old can run a business "alone and independently," (quoting Spartacus Maximus here), but that's not what he's doing and that's not what most business owners do, is it? Most people have someone they rely on, whether it be an employee, an accountant, a temp agency, whatever. While emancipated minors do exist, it's pretty clear he's not alone (his parents are even mentioned in the article).

As an aside, the website mainly looks impressive in the context of the martial arts, where many schools have poor websites. I could set something up like this in a few hours with maybe $50. There are some assumptions in this thread and the idea that this was a costly website is one of them. This is just a template site that the Gracies offer to schools. For example: http://www.graciejiujitsudestin.com/ http://graciectc.com/ashburn/

What everyone is saying is generally true, for almost everyone. But I do think it's problematic when you never allow for the exception, because exceptions do exist. That's really all I'm saying. If you are that exception - or your kid is that exception - you reach high and you go for it.

Patrick

That's the point I was trying to make but expressed much better :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patrick, his age is but one issue, my biggest concern is his rank. Why even have ranks above blue if everything you need to know is in belt belt? Who is teaching HIM to rank up? Who is teaching students paat blue belt level?

Why have ranks above shodan if everything you need to know is at black belt? According to the Rener Gracie interview, Cottrell has continued to train with the Gracie's in Torrance including for recertification as an instructor.

In any case blue belt in BJJ is probably more in line with what we'd expect from a blackbelt in a lot of other styles. A good knowledge of the basics and roughly 3 years of learning.

As to what he's teaching, from the Rener Gracie interview:

A Level 1 CTC is only authorized to teach Gracie Combatives and Gracie Bullyproof to beginner students...

Houston is following a strict roadmap that leaves nothing to chance and gives students confidence that they are learning the exact same techniques and details that are being shared in Torrance, he has had nothing but positive feedback from every student who has showed up to learn with him. As an additional quality control measure, all students at all CTCs are given free online access to the complete Gracie Combatives online video course through Gracie University, so they can verify that what their learning is, in fact, exactly the same as what we are teaching at headquarters. Of course, by the time Houston is 26 years old, he’ll be 10 times better as a practitioner, teacher and business owner than he is now, but that’s only because he’s got such a huge head start by starting at 16!

Gracie Combatives is a series of 36 techniques focused on self defense and the Gracie Bullyproof is 33 basic self defense techniques combined with "Verbal Assertiveness Training".

He must have some business acumen already, as the requirements to be a Certified Gracie Centre require you to have a space for at least 1000 sq foot, sort out the necessary insurance etc. and there are ongoing requirements for quality control.

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/Instructor.aspx

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Fair enough!! As always, I've stated MY opinion about the matter. And if my examples aren't good, I believe that my point(s) still stand on their own.

For example,

I used the yellow belt example because it is the second rank right after while belt in quite a many styles of the MA; Shindokan, for one. Whether it took 3 months or 3 years, to me, has very little significance...BJJ's Blue Belt is the second rank right after white belt. The general overall feeling in the MA is that the second rank just isn't enough knowledge/experience to garner the CI post.

His age isn't even a factor to me. A student my age, having the second rank, isn't qualified to be the CI!! 3 months isn't anything in the scope of the MA, and while 3 years is much more, time wise; 3 years isn't enough knowledge/experience to be the CI...An assistant instructor, and I dare say, or an instructor is ok with having 3 years on the floor in that MA discipline.

But Chief Instructor? I'm sorry, NO!! But, as I said, it's the Gracie's decision and all, so that alone mutes my disagreements across the board. But here at KF, I believe that my objections to this Blue Belt being a CI might have some validity because of my many years in Shindokan.

Again, I wish him great success...now and forever!! In that, I'm not EVEN looking at the man, I'm looking at the propensity of promoting someone with 3 years of knowledge and experience to the CI post!!

Of all of the points I listed, and they were general points, as to what a CI is/does, the main, and most solidified point is that the CI is the FINAL AUTHORITY in administrative decisions as well as in the TEACHING of that style. And I stand on my decision to say...the second rank lacks the knowledge and experience to interpret accurately the methodology and the ideology concerning the syllabus/curriculum.

ANY RANK under Godan should NOT be the CI of any MA school, and for surely, NOTHING under Sandan.

I'm cool with exceptions because they are the birth marks of great things waiting to happen!! I've made many exceptions regarding many things that are MA, and some have bit me, while others made my decision(s) the correct one. One of the many things that I will not make any exceptions about are what we're discussing in this thread. Exceptions, in my opinion, shouldn't EVER be the granite stone that decisions are made from. In time, water will wear down that granite stone! Time, allows those exceptions to be made, just as long as they don't stain the integrity, and exceptions are rare, and not often!!

I could've just said, congratulations and good luck. But that's me not being honest with myself. because he shouldn't be the CI. But, that's not my decision, but it's my belief. Some of what I was taught by Soke and Dai-Soke make me feel this way, but a lot of it comes from being in the MA for 51 years this October. I short, this Blue Belt...this student with 3 years being a CI, just rubs me the wrong way, and I know, that's my problem. But I just can't help feeling the way that I do about this.

Like this Blue Belt, I too am a student. That's where many of our similarities end. I'm a CI with over 50 years of knowledge/experience! At the time I became a CI of my own dojo, Kyuodan Dojo, when I was a Sandan, and that was against the wishes of BOTH Soke and Dai-Soke [i didn't posses the knowledge...according to both of them], I had 14 years of knowledge/experience under me.

If him and I were to attend a meeting of CI's from all different styles of the MA, I'd petition for him to not be an attendee of the meeting AS A CI...observant...yes...CI...no!! Why? He's not qualified in my eyes! It's quite bold to compare his knowledge with, for example, myself. What do I imagine that someone like Kanazawa or Higaonna, who are CI's in their respective styles/governing bodies, think about this Blue Belt CI with 3 years experience?? I dare to say, they'd be polite, but bear him no credibility and/or voice to his CI status, even if his mentors were standing right next to him. Of course, I'm speculating, at best because I've no idea what they would say and/or do in this situation.

A prospective student should, and must, look beyond belt color! Nonetheless, many prospective students DO look at the belt color, especially if the CI isn't wearing the label of knowledge...Black Belt. After all, the CI is their avenue to learn that style. And if the CI has very limited knowledge, than the prospective student be limited by what they can learn on the floor. Yes, proof is on the floor, and the floor takes no prisoners, and any students, both prospective as well as current, might feel slighted.

I've seen a JBB run a dojo as an Instructor, but not as the CI; the CI for that dojo was a Nanadan. And yes, that JBB ran the dojo, but under the close watchful eye of the Nanadan. Something wasn't right, the Nanadan, as the CI corrected it, and with authority, and the governing body had stamped that dojo approved because the CI wasn't the JBB, but the Nanadan.

Danielle and Patrick, your arguments weren't placed on the back burner, and that's because I deeply respect your opinions and viewpoints; your knowledge/experience is well founded. I just wanted you two to know that!!

A dojo is a business, I believe that. A business is as strong as the CEO, this too, holds to be true in a dojo, whereas the dojo is as strong as the CI. However, the business of a MA dojo MUST have undeniable credibility about that style. Nuances are missed by beginners, and a BJJ Blue Belt, imho, is a beginner, and a beginner, as a CI, has deniable credibility about the style. Why can't one of his mentors be the CI, and he an instructor, but without the CI badge??!!??

I'm still very curious as to what Alex things about this!! Hopefully, he'll post his opinions.

I wish this young man great success, both on and off the floor, however, imho, he has no right or business in being a CI...yet! Time bears all things, and I believe that this young man needs to allow time to bear good fruit!! Let this young man not put his cart before the horse!!

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Patrick, his age is but one issue, my biggest concern is his rank. Why even have ranks above blue if everything you need to know is in belt belt? Who is teaching HIM to rank up? Who is teaching students paat blue belt level?

Why have ranks above shodan if everything you need to know is at black belt? According to the Rener Gracie interview, Cottrell has continued to train with the Gracie's in Torrance including for recertification as an instructor.

Exactly, why do we even have ranks? Whats the point of having belts at all if a blue belt can run a school, lets just return to the old ways, when students wear one color and inatructors wear another.

In passing,

Houston Cottrell just might be able to teach me something because I don't know everything, and fresh eyes can be quite revealing. What will he be like in 10, 20, 30, or more years? He should be much better!

While Houston might be able to teach me something, that, imho, doesn't qualify him to be the CI; his knowledge, for now, is quite limited across the board, and that means that what he has to offer his students is just as limited.

Whatsoever the Gracie Academy decides, that shall it be. They've nothing to prove to anyone, and they surely don't need anyone's approval for any decisions they might make on the behalf of their student body, their governing body, and their art...or anything else for that fact.

He's the CI...I don't agree with it, but in and through his governing body, he IS the CI of his own school.

I wish him great success in all that he does. Train hard, Houston...train hard.

I'm 39, have a bachelor's in biology/sports medicine, have 2 master's degrees (school counseling and physical education), teach middle school science, married for 9 years (together for 14), have worked since I was 15 years old, earned a shodan in karate, and now am a yellow belt (6th kyu) in another system that's very similar in curriculum to the one I earned my shodan in.

I'm not anywhere near being ready to be a CI. Way too much to learn. Maybe at the sandan level I'd be ready. Just throwing that out there.

I'm afraid that some people instruct not because of a love of the art (not sport) but merely for financial gain.

Is that really why we are karateka? For money?

Not me, that's for sure.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

That's the point I was trying to make but expressed much better :)

Thanks. I thought you made the point really well. :)

... But here at KF, I believe that my objections to this Blue Belt being a CI might have some validity because of my many years in Shindokan.

Bob, no one is saying that your objections don't have validity. In fact, I think most people on this thread agree completely with you. I only disagree with the notion that this should never, ever be possible.

If him and I were to attend a meeting of CI's from all different styles of the MA, I'd petition for him to not be an attendee of the meeting AS A CI...observant...yes...CI...no!!

Why would that be appropriate? If it is a meeting of CIs and CIs are welcome, who are you to decide who is and is not qualified to attend? I mean, if you want to hold your own meeting and decide who is in the club and who isn't, that's OK. But if you are just an attendee of the meeting as a CI, why would it be appropriate for you to say who and who should not attend in the position they hold within their own school? What would you think if a fellow attendee did that to you?

There are football coaches in the NFL, at big colleges, at tiny colleges, in high school, in Pop Warner and in various volunteer roles. Most coaches aren't Don Shula. But the coach who guides a pack of 10 year olds is still a coach. It doesn't mean he's a world class coach, but he's helping some people, and I don't mind that he calls himself a coach.

I'm afraid that some people instruct not because of a love of the art (not sport) but merely for financial gain.

Is that really why we are karateka? For money?

I don't see anything that would suggest that this kid is doing this for money as the primary motivator. There are plenty of other ways to make money. :)

Thanks,

Patrick

Indeed they are Patrick. I wasn't implying that the person was doing it for financial gain.

I was speaking more generally.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Patrick wrote:

Bob, no one is saying that your objections don't have validity. In fact, I think most people on this thread agree completely with you. I only disagree with the notion that this should never, ever be possible.

OK...I do agree that things like this might one day be a possibility where it's widely accepted by the MA general masses. But, I might not see this in my lifetime.

Patrick wrote:

Why would that be appropriate? If it is a meeting of CIs and CIs are welcome, who are you to decide who is and is not qualified to attend? I mean, if you want to hold your own meeting and decide who is in the club and who isn't, that's OK. But if you are just an attendee of the meeting as a CI, why would it be appropriate for you to say who and who should not attend in the position they hold within their own school? What would you think if a fellow attendee did that to you?

There are football coaches in the NFL, at big colleges, at tiny colleges, in high school, in Pop Warner and in various volunteer roles. Most coaches aren't Don Shula. But the coach who guides a pack of 10 year olds is still a coach. It doesn't mean he's a world class coach, but he's helping some people, and I don't mind that he calls himself a coach.

It would be appropriate because he's a beginner in BJJ, therefore, the general consensus is that he isn't qualified to assume that post. Yes, the Gracie's made him an instructor, and now he has a school which made him the CI. But no matter how one dresses up the label to be acceptable, his label doesn't match the normal qualifications of a CI.

Can we all agree that Houston IS a beginner in BJJ?? I'm not disputing him being an instructor, there a dime a dozen, but I'm disputing Houston being the CI based on him being a beginner in BJJ!!

Do you really have to ask... "who are you to decide who is and is not qualified to attend?" I've very qualified, matter of fact, I'm more than qualified!!

But it's a fair question. I'd just be the petitioner, and then whomever s the arbitrator would make that decision as to the validity of my petition. As an attendee, it's my right to do so. If the arbitrator allowed him to attend as a CI, then, while I'd not agree with the decision, I'd honor the decision. And if this happened to me, well, I'd not worry about the petition because of what I bring to the table, and in that, I'm qualified across the board. I guess I'd get a kick out of the whole thing. And if I was denied by the arbitrator, well, I'd not attend, dust myself off, and go about my merry way. No harm...no foul...things happen!! Btw, I've never been to meeting of CI's outside of the Shindokan circle, and that's because I don't think CI meetings have ever meet outside of their own respective governing body. I've been to thousand of open meetings where Senior Dan ranks have meet to discuss things as well as to train with one another. In those meetings, I've never seen a beginner anywhere, well, at least not in the discussions and certainly not on the floor.

Governing bodies ARE ALL DIFFERENT and they allow DIFFERENT things to occur, and that is their given right to do so. I accept that!! For now, a beginner, and Houston is a BJJ beginner, as a CI, I can't accept that. But, hey, that's not going to move Houston's governing body, their right is their right, that, I accept...I don't like it, but I accept that!!

Listen, I just have to get my mind wrapped around this whole thing, and work through this because this type of thing just doesn't happen everyday, if ever, in the MA. Change is inevitable, and I wholeheartedly concur with that summation, as well as I embrace change. I WISH HOUSTON SUCCESS...I can't be much more clearer than that, and I'm willing to wish him well, this for me, is enough change, for now, complete change is going to take a little bit more.