• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

16 year old Head Instructor

hmm.. I'm 'gonna step away from the 'what' of the discussion and going to look at the 'how' and 'why' in a simplest way I can,mainly to not trigger insults that is not my intention or slap this or that face, also not my position or point.

I consider MA, mine your this that, a traditional system/art that has been taught and will be taught for hundreds of years with a certain mind set actively directing the lives of the people involved.

The ones I'm referring to were called warriors by the world they live(d) in and in time and as a result of deeds and so on came to be called masters and all have stood up and proven there ability in combat.

That was the way of the world that they existed in that was 'back in the day' the way things were.

As such I'm of the opinion the change in title(rank) was because the experiences and ability generated a persona of respect, honor, trust and comradeship, even fear from though around them be they enemy or friend!

That world no longer exists today, its legacy however does and is what we have today, that is something I call tradition!

Yet still this 'grey' area seems to arise and for whatever reason some feel the need to question or explore it, why? I mean how hard is it to separate technical ability of a person from the same ability and obvious experience of another?

At 16, 17, 18 years of age you can only have a small, limit wealth of experience to call upon and share with others.

At 36, 37, 65 years of age you can only have a whole life time of experience to call upon and share with others.

An instructor ... well to be honest can be anyone, everyone has some experience to share with others who have not had that 'thing' happen to them.

In this age is not a critical factor is is merely a number little more.

A teacher, is a person who has many past experiences to look upon and share with someone who has not had that experience, here age is important, it states clearly to all "Yes I have, take a look!"

We all work in our respective discipline with people of different ages, just for a moment stop and consider that each interaction with the person gave you something, now ask yourself how older was that person?

Then should it matter?

(cat + bag of pigeons = discuss)!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make some interesting points, Hawkmoon. Some I think are bit romanticized, though. Many tend to think that everyone that studied the Martial Arts hundreds or thousands of years ago were all warriors, but I don't see that as the case. Yes, we do have some good legends to look back on, for sure. But not every MAist of those times was legendary, or a warrior. And how many were perhaps really great, but didn't make it long enough to become legend?

That aside, it is true that with age, comes experience. But that doesn't mean we should all wait until we are old to gain that experience, or to start sharing it. Are their better instructors than this kid out there? Sure. No doubt about that. But its never too early to start your journey. Will this kid gain valuable experience in the next few years that will help him greatly in his journey as an instructor and school operator? Sure. No doubt about that, either. But should he have to wait to start doing what he loves, when he can start now? I think he should definitely run with this.

"...bit romanticized..."

A bit you say? ... a bit !!... man that was pure 'Mills and Boon"!!

;-)

"... Many tend to think that everyone that studied the Martial Arts... not every MAist of those times was legendary, or a warrior ..."

... and so true even today, of this I make no distinction between the guys that go for selection for World cup or that little competition in the youth club set for next week!

I truly see no difference at all!

A personal manager (Human resources) years ago got wind of my desire to leave the company I was working for at that time.

One day in the canteen he came over and sat at the table I was on and started talking about things, his motive was clear he wanted to find out why I was leaving and if he could convince me to stay!

In our discussion he said a few things that changed how I see and look at things, one thing he said I find is relevant to this conversation is:

"I can write you a letter of recommendation saying you were a trainee CEO if you like, its not a lie!"

He was right it wasn't!

We are all not warriors to stand on the battle field ready to fight(going Mills and Boon again!) we are not a legend, ...(and so the profound comments keep coming!)

Anyone can be anything we want if we work at it, we cannot IMO take this or that moniker just because it sounds perfect or just because ... thats' ego and it will get you into trouble.

" ... should he have to wait to start doing what he loves, when he can start now? I think he should definitely run with this... "

To play devils advocate:

Hell no,he should do what he wants because he loves it! Why shouldn't he? I see nothing better better than "To stand up and be be counted!"

... but if he loves it for what it is why does he need the extra gratification from a title, he loves what he does why is that not enough why the drive for recognition?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Maybe it isn't a drive for recognition for him. In this world of seeking certifications and qualifications, however, being labeled as an instructor by an organization helps a little.

Maybe it isn't a drive for recognition for him. In this world of seeking certifications and qualifications, however, being labeled as an instructor by an organization helps a little.

I suppose being recognized by ones governing body can be both rewarding and humbling, all at the same time. It's possible that the governing body is pushing the CI label, while Houston just wants to teach!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I suppose being recognized by ones governing body can be both rewarding and humbling, all at the same time. It's possible that the governing body is pushing the CI label, while Houston just wants to teach!!

:)

That could be the case.