• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's in your Dojo?

muttley

Congrats on the starting second dojo!

The dojo I train at is very small. Depending on the kata and where you start, we have to switch feet too due to space. I look at it as in a real situation, I'm going to have to alter steps and stances to adapt to the circumstances, so the dojo isn't any different. Glass half full thinking.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully it's a springboard to getting a huge dojo with tons of students!

Thanks man. I'm not in a huge hurry and I did not get a second place because I'm rushing things, I just have been very successful at my first location and that is only two days a week. This is my only job so I obviously need a little more than two days a week so this is why picked up a second place for another two days a week . I'm sure eventually I will get a bigger place if things continue on this path so I appreciate The supportive words. I hear what you're saying about the smaller places, I personally trained for the last year and a very small place, I'm just over it is all and I'm happy to be in a bigger place now LOL. It was tough on training, but it was even worse when I was instructing for them, if we had a really big class going it was difficult to break up into groups because I always had to rearrange my students to not cut into the next group. As an instructor I think I appreciate the space more.

Thanks again for the good luck. Same to you of course in your endeavors.

How far away is the 2nd location from the 1st location??

:)

About 30 miles. It's a real slow start. 2 days open no students. We'll see how it goes. It's a no commitment deal so worst case I'm out nothing but time.

Ok. 30 miles makes it difficult for students to pick and choose for the convenient sake, which might've been an option had they been closer. I'm still amazed that your stand alone came fully equipped, which I entertained to do here in Houston, TX.

2 days...no students...still new!! What's the population for where the stand alone is, and how many MA schools are in that town, as well as how far are they from you?? What type of advertising have you done?? Is your cost lower or same or higher than other schools of MA in that town, if there are any??

Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Well the reason for it coming fully equipped is that it is owned by a martial art supply store right next-door in the suite next to it. I have been getting some of my supplies there for the last nine months or so, and he asked if I wanted to teach some classes there as he thought my personality would go well here. There are two other martial arts instructors that teach there at different times than me, the first place has been there a few months and teaches muay Thai, The other place is a Filipino martial arts and primarily seems to teach Eskrema ( I am not sure if I'm spelling that right so please forgive me).

As far as competitors in the area there really are not many, there was a karate place that seems to be close now, and the nearest place is probably 6 to 8 miles, but that is city miles as this is located right north of downtown Phoenix. There are a few actually but they seem to be taekwondo. They are standalone facilities and their prices are $120 up on average, I'm only $50 a month because that price range works well for me at my other location. It is cheap and Innoway some may think I'm selling myself short, my goal however is to offer the people that want to train the ability to train even if they don't have $130 a month. My outlook is more students will potentially come to me and I'll make more the end anyway, if I'm successful in bringing them in of course.

So in the grand scheme of things there is some competition but not extremely close city Wise, and I would say that being near downtown Phoenix that not only am I much cheaper than the competition, I also seem to be the only karate place around within 20 miles that I can find on the Internet anyways. I would say there is roughly 20 cars passing by in any 32nd span, so tons of traffic. And FYI I got my first potential student, 21-year-old young man looking to start class next Monday, we'll see howitzer goes.

Oh, and last thing. As far as advertising I do everything I know how to do, I have passed out flyers to people and talked with them at the local stores, also flyer peoples cars in neighborhoods. I have relied on some word-of-mouth with people I know to pass along also opening and on Facebook as well. I frequently take videos and try to show a fun side of class so that people can see with the program looks like, last thing is I stood out in front of the dojo last class with my kids in their uniforms and we had some fun, breaking boards and things like this on this very highly populated street to try to draw attention. That's about it. I have about two months with zero cost to stay there or back out, after two months if I decide to stay I rent the space, as I said it's a no money down situation for me to see how I d I have about two months with zero cost to stay there or back out, after two months if I decide to stay I rent the space, as I said it's a no money down situation for me to see how I do I. We will just see how it goes I guess.

Solid post; thanks for it!!

I'd say that you're in an ideal situation all that way around, and many might be envious of your situation. The dojo RIGHT NEXT TO A SUPPLY STORE...FULLY EQUIPPED...hello, love it. Again, an ideal situation across the board!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic