• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who's It For??

I was an assistant instructor my first time around. My sensei took my class on a few occasions. It was interesting. My first class with him attending, a student asked a question that I couldn't answer. I looked over to him, and he just shrugged his shoulders and went on as just another student in class. He wanted to see if I'd make something up or admit I didn't know. I told the student "I don't know, but I'll find out when Sensei is available and let you know." When he first walked in the first time, I thought he was going to teach, so I moved into my place in line. He said "what are you doing? Its your class; I'm just another student taking class today." Talk about a self-confidence check!

It's always nerve-wracking when you're "teaching" people who know more than you. My CPR instructor certificate course was similar. I was the only non-EMT in the course. And of course, I was the first one to teach the class. It's a situation where everyone knows if you don't fully know what you're talking about.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't be hurt or offended if my Sensei told me, today, that we were doing away with the dogi and obi entirely, and to never wear my black belt again. It wouldn't erase what I've learned. That said, I love teaching, and people generally only want to learn karate from black belts, so that would be a bit of a problem.

It's always nerve-wracking when you're "teaching" people who know more than you. My CPR instructor certificate course was similar. I was the only non-EMT in the course. And of course, I was the first one to teach the class. It's a situation where everyone knows if you don't fully know what you're talking about.

I know what you mean! On a few occasions, I have had 5th and 6th dan instructors with 40+ years of experience attend classes I am teaching. That's pretty awkward for me, to say the least! Thankfully, they have always been great

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I wouldn't be hurt or offended if my Sensei told me, today, that we were doing away with the dogi and obi entirely, and to never wear my black belt again. It wouldn't erase what I've learned. That said, I love teaching, and people generally only want to learn karate from black belts, so that would be a bit of a problem.

I know what you mean! On a few occasions, I have had 5th and 6th dan instructors with 40+ years of experience attend classes I am teaching. That's pretty awkward for me, to say the least! Thankfully, they have always been great

Yeah, I wouldn't be hurt either if I was told to not ever wear my gi/belt ever again. After all, I won't be wearing my gi and/or belt on the street if I ever have to defend myself; that wouldn't be practical and sensible of me.

I too have had Senior Dan rank on the floor while I was teaching, and at first, I was nervous, but in short time, it was cool, but no big deal. All ranks just want to train, and that's what I do, and that's what other Senior Dan ranks do when they line up...they want to train/learn!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

At the end of the day, I wear it for myself. If that weren't the case, I'd be a boxer or study Muay Thai where belts aren't a part of training.

A friend, who was the number 2 man in his system (a 7th Dan at the time) used to say, "we have rank in order to get things done." When all is said and done, I think this is correct. It's true for MA it's true for the military, as well. If we went by who is the smartest, or strongest, or some other measure, there would constantly be a struggle for domiance and it would all fall apart.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...

I only wear my Belt for me my karate Studio no one Else and I represent Flores Bros Kenpo karate Studio here in OXNARD CA and I wear it for IKKA FBKKS 4 life

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate