• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who's It For??

Most MA styles utilize a ranking system; an hierarchy that is readily recognized by nearly just about anyone with a quick glance. To some observers of a MA belt, they revere the wearer, and with others, envy sets in quicker than quick dry concrete. Those who wear MA belts, forget a lot of things, like importance, context, and/or content that's surrounding the MA belt! The belt is last; knowledge is first!!

This brings me to a defining question...

Do you wear it for you, or for someone else?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wear it for the students at the right side of the room.

"If you're confused, don't look around you. Look at the senior belts to the far left." -Something my sensei says very often, as he walks around correcting technique.

This I believe to be the most important aspect of a ranking system. Senior belts are (or should be and in most cases are) somebody the junior belts can look to to observe technical precision whilst sensei moves through the crowd giving individual attention.

They need people to look to, and they must be able to tell at a quick glance who they SHOULD BE looking to. (purple, brown, black belts).

So, I wear it for the junior belts. So they have somebody they can look to for technical precision, as well as somebody else to ask questions to if sensei and all other senpai are busy. A guideline, and (hopefully) a role model.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I wear it for the students at the right side of the room.

"If you're confused, don't look around you. Look at the senior belts to the far left." -Something my sensei says very often, as he walks around correcting technique.

This I believe to be the most important aspect of a ranking system. Senior belts are (or should be and in most cases are) somebody the junior belts can look to to observe technical precision whilst sensei moves through the crowd giving individual attention.

They need people to look to, and they must be able to tell at a quick glance who they SHOULD BE looking to. (purple, brown, black belts).

So, I wear it for the junior belts. So they have somebody they can look to for technical precision, as well as somebody else to ask questions to if sensei and all other senpai are busy. A guideline, and (hopefully) a role model.

Interesting. Every dojo I've seen has the most senior ranks on the right. Not that either way is correct or wrong, of course.

Solid posts, thus far! Thank you JR 137 and Kanku65!!

To answer my own question...

I wear the belt I wear for MYSELF; after all, I earned it!! I've not the time, nor the inclination to impress someone else!! For me, to do that, would disrespect my Sensei, and it would disrespect my fellow MAists, and it would disrespect myself; not now...not today...not ever!

For 37 years now, I've not sought rank; not after I earned my Sandan!! Up to, and including Sandan, I earnestly sought out for rank!!

Interesting. Every dojo I've seen has the most senior ranks on the right. Not that either way is correct or wrong, of course.

I've seen both.

Even both within the same organization. 50/50 actually to be fair.

We follow the ways of our regional headquarters, which is looking towards front, highest ranking going from left to right.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I wear the belt for the efficient organization of the dojo. It is easier to say white belts do this, yellow belts do that or up to blue belt do this purple and above do that than it is to talk to every student individually. If it was just me and the instructor then I wouldn't need a belt.

Again, great answers, all; I appreciate it!!

Spodo Komodo wrote:

I wear the belt for the efficient organization of the dojo.

This is a very nice way of describing the ranking system; short, solid, and to the point.

JR 137 wrote:

AND...

Kanku65 wrote:

I've seen both.

We follow the ways of our regional headquarters, which is looking towards front, highest ranking going from left to right.

I've seen them both ways myself across the wild and wide sea of the MA. Albeit, the highest ranked is most often up front and center; that position isn't lining up at all, for some obvious reason. However, in rare occasions, I've seen the highest ranked line up, in that, far left of the Shomen. Insomuch, I've also seen, and I've done this several times, the highest ranked will sit in the far right rear of the Shomen, or in the very back behind the last line.

Spodo Komodo wrote:

This is a very nice way of describing the ranking system; short, solid, and to the point.

JR 137 wrote:

AND...

Kanku65 wrote:

I've seen both.

I've seen them both ways myself across the wild and wide sea of the MA. Albeit, the highest ranked is most often up front and center; that position isn't lining up at all, for some obvious reason. However, in rare occasions, I've seen the highest ranked line up, in that, far left of the Shomen. Insomuch, I've also seen, and I've done this several times, the highest ranked will sit in the far right rear of the Shomen, or in the very back behind the last line.

The highest rank doesn't always run the class. At my former school, we had a noon class twice a week run by a Nidan. There was a godan and yondan who frequented the class. I always wondered how she truly felt about "teaching" people with significantly higher rank, experience and ability. It was a class focused on kumite and conditioning. I miss those guys beating up on me (in a good way). During the summer, those were the classes that you could wring your gi out after you were done. The daytime classes were more of workout classes, while the evening classes were more instructional.

Spodo Komodo wrote:

JR 137 wrote:

AND...

Kanku65 wrote:

I've seen both.

The highest rank doesn't always run the class. At my former school, we had a noon class twice a week run by a Nidan. There was a godan and yondan who frequented the class. I always wondered how she truly felt about "teaching" people with significantly higher rank, experience and ability. It was a class focused on kumite and conditioning. I miss those guys beating up on me (in a good way). During the summer, those were the classes that you could wring your gi out after you were done. The daytime classes were more of workout classes, while the evening classes were more instructional.

To the bold type above...

That's very true!! Schedules and restraints can prevent the highest ranked to run the class. In my case, I'm thankful that I had a capable instructor staff to teach many classes for whatever the reason(s) preventing me from running any particular class on that days class schedule. For the most part, I run 85% of the classes, both in my own dojo and at the Hombu.

Yet, there were times when I was part of the class, but not as the instructor of a particular class. Why? Sometimes, you know, I just want to train with the students! After all, I'm a student too!!