• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Does This Do For Your MA Resume?

*Just what will this prize provide for me?

*Will it open any closed doors for me?

*Will it be accepted to be something of value?

*Is it worth the paper it's written upon?

*Etc.

None of the above.

Don't get me wrong - I've been on plenty of seminars around the world, but whilst you may see lots of new stuff, you don't really learn much (or at least internalise it). That comes from your dojo, your sensei.

At best, I see seminars as not so much a way to acquire new skills (or certificates (that's the bottom of the pile)), but as a way to help you crystallise what you already know (or are starting to understand).

Just my thoughts.

K.

I always try to walk away from a seminar with at least one thing. As long as at least one thing sticks it was worth going.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's funny that you bring this up, as I was thinking about it the other day. In the MA org. that I've been with for the last 10 years, both gup rank and BB" (one for each Dan rank) compile a portfolio of their training, teaching (if aplicable), seminars, tournaments, etc. that we present to the testing board when we test. For higher Dan rank especially, they are quite packed with info & memories for the Board to view.

When I came into the org., they didn't have a clue who I was or what had done in my 24 years of training up to that point. They asked me for similar info (proof, really) that I'd trained where I said (and with whom), during that time. I presented photos, letters from training partners, instructors & so forth of my MA journey up to that point. It was not easy tracking down some people & photos. The internet has made connecting with others much easier than ever.

While I agree completely with the OP's favorite statement "the proof is on the floor," there is something positive to be said for a "paper trail" of one's training. As someone who has trained in different places and moved on, it's nice to be able to have these items to show that I've been where I say I have.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

It's funny that you bring this up, as I was thinking about it the other day. In the MA org. that I've been with for the last 10 years, both gup rank and BB" (one for each Dan rank) compile a portfolio of their training, teaching (if aplicable), seminars, tournaments, etc. that we present to the testing board when we test. For higher Dan rank especially, they are quite packed with info & memories for the Board to view.

When I came into the org., they didn't have a clue who I was or what had done in my 24 years of training up to that point. They asked me for similar info (proof, really) that I'd trained where I said (and with whom), during that time. I presented photos, letters from training partners, instructors & so forth of my MA journey up to that point. It was not easy tracking down some people & photos. The internet has made connecting with others much easier than ever.

While I agree completely with the OP's favorite statement "the proof is on the floor," there is something positive to be said for a "paper trail" of one's training. As someone who has trained in different places and moved on, it's nice to be able to have these items to show that I've been where I say I have.

What your governing body does for their students Hard Card file, is what I wish that ours did. Our Hard Card file is quite through while at the same time it can be quite anesthetic. Your Hard Card file is a walk through that students MA journey memories; outstanding!!

Btw, our Hard Card file is something that contains vital pertinent information about said student. More or less, it's nothing more than a Tenure Card!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What your governing body does for their students Hard Card file, is what I wish that ours did. Our Hard Card file is quite through while at the same time it can be quite anesthetic. Your Hard Card file is a walk through that students MA journey memories; outstanding!!

Btw, our Hard Card file is something that contains vital pertinent information about said student. More or less, it's nothing more than a Tenure Card!!

One of the great things in our portfolio is a one-sheet monthly page (at BB level) where a student can track how many hours one trains, teaches, assists their instructor teaching, tests, sits on a testing Board, participates in a tournament (either as judge or competitor), seminars, etc. So each month, one keeps track of their MA career. All put into a 3-ring binder. Those pages alone in my 4th Dan portfolio comprised more than 50 pages of monthly training pages. My whole 4th Dan portfolio was probably 250 page, including everything I'd put in it.

One thing I've found is that, when I feel burned out, or that I'm not progressing, one look through one of those portfolio at where I've been is a huge boost of energy to return refreshed.

*Note* At gup rank level, the dated tracking pages are one page per year, and aren't nearly as detailed. If one goes to 2 classes on Thursday May 12th, that student would just write a "2" in the box for that day. Still, I've seen student portfolio when testing for 1st Dan/Poom that are 200-300 pages long with photos, & other info. It's great for the student, and great for their instructors.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

One of the great things in our portfolio is a one-sheet monthly page (at BB level) where a student can track how many hours one trains, teaches, assists their instructor teaching, tests, sits on a testing Board, participates in a tournament (either as judge or competitor), seminars, etc. So each month, one keeps track of their MA career. All put into a 3-ring binder. Those pages alone in my 4th Dan portfolio comprised more than 50 pages of monthly training pages. My whole 4th Dan portfolio was probably 250 page, including everything I'd put in it.

One thing I've found is that, when I feel burned out, or that I'm not progressing, one look through one of those portfolio at where I've been is a huge boost of energy to return refreshed.

*Note* At gup rank level, the dated tracking pages are one page per year, and aren't nearly as detailed. If one goes to 2 classes on Thursday May 12th, that student would just write a "2" in the box for that day. Still, I've seen student portfolio when testing for 1st Dan/Poom that are 200-300 pages long with photos, & other info. It's great for the student, and great for their instructors.

Again, that's quite impressive...I like it a lot!! Our Hard Card File, while it's not as in-depth as yours, depending on rank, it's not just a few pages long either!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

At best, I see seminars as not so much a way to acquire new skills (or certificates (that's the bottom of the pile)), but as a way to help you crystallise what you already know (or are starting to understand).

I tend to agree with this - not because I think seminars etc are bad or useless - but because in my experience personally, seminars have been a method of further internalising techniques I already know.

On occasion i will pick up a few new bits and pieces, but for the most part, there is only so much the human brain can take in within a few hours...

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I tend to agree with this - not because I think seminars etc are bad or useless - but because in my experience personally, seminars have been a method of further internalising techniques I already know.

On occasion i will pick up a few new bits and pieces, but for the most part, there is only so much the human brain can take in within a few hours...

I see seminars as a bit different (in my experience). I try to go and learn from people who to things differently than I do in order to change my perspective. I also go to experience someone who does what I do on a much higher level to reinvigorate my training. Taking a seminar from Bill Wallace on stretching changes my thinking, energizes my desire to focus on stretching & kicking, and reminded me again why I love it so much. If I wanted to just keep what I already know, I'd stay home & keep winking at that guy in the mirror that I throw kicks at. :D