• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wako just held the biannual world championships in Ireland which had the full contact, light contact and point divisions. No kicks to the legs but sweeps are ok.

I think the wako muay & low kick was hosted by Serbia.

Barnes

• 10 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Might add to mention that there is a minimum of kicks to be used for each round.

As boxers wanted to get in on the action but forgot the kicking part of kick boxing!

I recall this. I don't remember if it an 8 or 10 kick per round requirement, but for some reason that sounds right. Boxers would just get their kicks in and then go to work with their hands.

Might add to mention that there is a minimum of kicks to be used for each round.

As boxers wanted to get in on the action but forgot the kicking part of kick boxing!

I recall this. I don't remember if it an 8 or 10 kick per round requirement, but for some reason that sounds right. Boxers would just get their kicks in and then go to work with their hands.
American kickboxing rules required a minimum of six kicks at the discretion of the referee.

The kicks needed to be substantial strong not just a flicky minimal effort "as this would be pointless" referees only accepted full contact strikes.

Some kickboxers in the 1980s did find their way out of the traditional martial dojos and in to the commercial fighting scene; it was also a gateway into the movie industry.

American kickboxing rules required a minimum of six kicks at the discretion of the referee.

The kicks needed to be substantial strong not just a flicky minimal effort "as this would be pointless" referees only accepted full contact strikes.

Some kickboxers in the 1980s did find their way out of the traditional martial dojos and in to the commercial fighting scene; it was also a gateway into the movie industry.

Don "The Dragon" Wilson comes to mind.

Did you attend the seminar? He was quite the talent. So fast!
I didn't attend 'the Jet' seminar because I was just a yellow belt at the time. My sensei attended with some other members of the club.
Man, that's too bad. Was the seminar only for higher ranks? What a cool opportunity that would have been!

What I do remember being told about the seminar was, they made them all train very hard.

My Sensei was big on kickboxing as I was only a skinny yellow belt.

Kickboxing was a very young sport in the late 70s.

I was a fan of kickboxing for awhile.

Kickboxing was born in the same time as the disco era, so it was dance to kung fu, funky style.