• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No youtube for you!

I occasionally use video to help me learn kata but I look to the videos of our technical advisor and still I ask my sensei to check what I have learned.

I've found it a good way of learning the core principles of the kata/technique from the source of our MA and then polishing it up with sensei.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My head instructor keeps a YouTube channel, but doesn't post our entire curriculum to it publicly. He shares a few videos of our earlier kata, some videos from the 90s for nostalgia's sake, and a few videos of just regular classes so people can see what we're normally like. The commenting feature is disabled on all of them so we don't get any trolls.

The rest of his YouTube videos are set to private and he sends us the links via e-mail when he thinks they would benefit us (for example, when we start a new kata or start working a new self-defense set, he'll send us the YouTube videos so we can get an idea and help ourselves learn them more quickly).

He is making it his mission to video our entire curriculum from white belt to the advanced Dan ranks before he and his wife retire to Arizona later this year. He wants to have the record for himself, but mostly he wants us to have it before he leaves.

As a rule of thumb, if you are posting video you should have the approval of all of those involved in the video (same goes for photographs - it's the law in the US).

The biggest problem with trying to use online video is indeed quality control. Make sure you trust the source of the video. Also, trolls are plentiful (although my videos seem to be mostly troll free, with one exception that I thought was absurd (even if the video did suck). The user said "malo pero muy malo es el peor kusanku sho que he visto te doy un 10% de aprovacion, debes ser degradado a kyu 9,por no saber ni la esencia del shorin ryu ni menos del padre que es el shuri- te pues de este linaje biene el kusanku sho y claro tampoco sabes del tomri- te ,adios"

I mean this respectfully, but you do NOT need somebody's permission to video or photograph people as long as it's in a public place. Also, I have never heard a complaint when I have done it. I mean, if I'm taking a picture and 70 people are in the photo, you can't insist I get permission from 70 people right?

If you are saying that taking them is fine, but posting them is not, again I can't imagine getting 70 people to ok a video I make to put online. I also can't imagine having great video of something but I can't post it because 3 people out of 70 left before I got through them all for approval, now I'm stuck.

Something a good deal of people don't probably think about is that when you use things like YouTube, Google owns this and it is almost certain to show up in the first page of a search on Google. Part of the advertising isn't just the video, but getting your name/school out there.

I have had issues with people in the past. Not all of the karate photos/videos that I have taken were done in public places, and I at one point received a complaint from the owner of a school that I took video at asking (well, demanding) me to take down video that was taken at his school.

Side note: I've seen tournament and seminar forms that specifically outline that by being there you consent to photography and video recording.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Different reasons from different people. You could approach them and ask why it is they choose to do this. If they don't want to tell you why, then that's on them. But if they don't have a reason to explain to you, then I'd be a little suspect as to why.

Some people just don't want their stuff out there. Some think it has to do with a traditional nature. Personally, I think our organization could benefit from such an option, just making it available to the organization members or the like.

That's a bit of a bummer. It's still kind of common in some circles. I think there's a lot of worry about proprietary material getting out. Here's the thing, that's pretty rare these days. I look at what I do, BJJ. There are only about a million channels that go over jiu jitsu technique. The idea that I hold material back from our channel because I don't want someone to see it is a bit optimistic at best. :)

The material is out there. For all of us. Even with PTK, which has a much smaller footprint on social media right now, you can still go find form and application with a bit of work from several different sects.

So, if you've got good material, a unique way to say it, I'm all for it. It's never going to overtake people actually doing in to class. In fact, good material on line will actually make people want to train with your group.

Again, this is not on the individual practitioner, but more often (as in your case judo dad) governing bodies. Which can be easy or hard to work around depending on the group.

That's a bit of a bummer. It's still kind of common in some circles. I think there's a lot of worry about proprietary material getting out. Here's the thing, that's pretty rare these days. I look at what I do, BJJ. There are only about a million channels that go over jiu jitsu technique. The idea that I hold material back from our channel because I don't want someone to see it is a bit optimistic at best. :)

The material is out there. For all of us. Even with PTK, which has a much smaller footprint on social media right now, you can still go find form and application with a bit of work from several different sects.

So, if you've got good material, a unique way to say it, I'm all for it. It's never going to overtake people actually doing in to class. In fact, good material on line will actually make people want to train with your group.

Again, this is not on the individual practitioner, but more often (as in your case judo dad) governing bodies. Which can be easy or hard to work around depending on the group.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!