• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Enshin Karateka?

chrissyp

Of all martial arts of the stand up verity, i'm most intregued by Enshin. Only problem there is no Enshin schools in my area :(

I was wondering who has been trained in this style, if anyone can give their thoughts and opinions of it?

And since their is no schools in my area, if anyone knows of a good book/website/DVD that could teach me a lot of the principles, like with the use of "sabaki" and their fighting techniques.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The book is Sabaki Method by Joko Ninomiya, I have an old edition and it explains the principles of Enshin Karate and a couple of the kata. They seem a secretive bunch though, I only found out recently that there was an Enshin Karate class in the next village to me which closed down through lack of members, they could have had five more if they had advertised! Apparently there was a poster on the door of the school hall but as I am not in the habit of visiting primary schools on the off chance I didn't see it. My advice is to email another Enshin club, not necessarily near you and see if they can put you in touch with someone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to check out Enshin. It really intrigues me. I don't have any dojos anywhere near me either though. Seems like a very intelligent, practical, and well rounded take on karate.

I'd love to check out Enshin. It really intrigues me. I don't have any dojos anywhere near me either though. Seems like a very intelligent, practical, and well rounded take on karate.

thats how I feel. I feel it would be the most effective forum of karate. I'd give up muay thai to learn it! But alas, not even Kyokushin in my area :(

Per Aspera Ad Astra

Kyokushin and especially Enshin don't have a big web/advertising presence for some reason. Mane because they get tired of people coming in, seeing that it's not light contact and leaving. You've got to look for them, they don't come looking for you.

Perhaps email the Enshin honbu or other dojo and ask if there's anyone remotely close to you?

• 1 year later...

Hi ChrissyP,

I know Ur post is relatively old, but did you find our way?

If not, have you tried Ashihara Karate? Enshin is an offshoot of Ashihara so the formats of the kata aren't the same, but similar.

Uphold the Budo spirit and nothing will overcome you!