• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's STILL Expected?!?

I don't think you're time is necessarily done. How does time at the Hombu get split between yourself and the Kancho?

If I understand your question...Kancho is In-House at the Hombu, while I'm only In-House at the Hombu once per quarter, Annual Testing Cycle, or whenever it's necessary. Greg lives where the Hombu is, and I now live in Houston, TX, and before TX, I lived in Owasso, OK; it's been that way for close to 20 years. Yet, my less In-House ratio has been like that since Dai-Soke passed away in 2010. Before his passing, I was flying back and forth quite a lot; at Dai-Soke's discretion, even when I was elected to Kaicho.

:)

Yes, that did answer my question. Now at your own dojo (if you're still running one), do you have a good amount of instructors to run your dojo classes for you?

At the moment, I don't own my own dojo ever since this past February when I sold my dojo in Tulsa, OK to my highest ranking student so that I could move to Houston, TX to help care of my sister.

I was close to signing a new lease here in Houston, TX but this unfortunate relapse has forced me to step away from that opportunity, at least until the doctor can figure out why the relapse in the first place.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know how to explain stuff without showing the whole movement at full force its fine really. You can also use your more able students to show the techniques while explaining the details.

Will I, doing as your post suggests, diminish the office for which I was elected to?? Dai-Soke was on the floor and not leaving explanations with anyone to perform FOR HIM, and while I've seen what you're speaking about from other governing bodies, I'm dedicated to what I saw and learnt from Dai-Soke; he was both large and in charge WHILE still being large and in charge on the floor AT THE SAME TIME.

Still, your post is solid, and to be considered!!

I don't think so. If an instructor has a lot of knowledge you notice that and respect them for that even if they can't perform everything.

Have you though about doing perhaps doing one on one private lessons for instructors at the Hombu

I've been doing that for quite sometime already.

If you know how to explain stuff without showing the whole movement at full force its fine really. You can also use your more able students to show the techniques while explaining the details.

Will I, doing as your post suggests, diminish the office for which I was elected to?? Dai-Soke was on the floor and not leaving explanations with anyone to perform FOR HIM, and while I've seen what you're speaking about from other governing bodies, I'm dedicated to what I saw and learnt from Dai-Soke; he was both large and in charge WHILE still being large and in charge on the floor AT THE SAME TIME.

Still, your post is solid, and to be considered!!

I don't think so. If an instructor has a lot of knowledge you notice that and respect them for that even if they can't perform everything.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

Was Kevin Rooney a great boxer? What about Angelo Dundee? Cus D'Amato?

Was Phil Jackson a great basketball player? John Wooden? Bobby Knight?

Was John Madden a great football player? Bill Parcells? Bill Bellichek?

You don't have to physically be the best to be able to pick apart skills, explain them, then get out the most from the person. You have to have an eye for it, be able to break it down to simpler components, come up with a strategy, and be able to effectively communicate it all.

Some of the best coaches of all time weren't very talented or physically gifted. In fact, most weren't. Their proof was on the floor; their athletes on the floor were their proof. Teaching MA is just like coaching. You're teaching physical skills (amongst other things). The truest measurement of teaching ability is the success/growth rate of the teacher's students' abilities, not the teacher's own abilities.

Was Kevin Rooney a great boxer? What about Angelo Dundee? Cus D'Amato?

Was Phil Jackson a great basketball player? John Wooden? Bobby Knight?

Was John Madden a great football player? Bill Parcells? Bill Bellichek?

You don't have to physically be the best to be able to pick apart skills, explain them, then get out the most from the person. You have to have an eye for it, be able to break it down to simpler components, come up with a strategy, and be able to effectively communicate it all.

Some of the best coaches of all time weren't very talented or physically gifted. In fact, most weren't. Their proof was on the floor; their athletes on the floor were their proof. Teaching MA is just like coaching. You're teaching physical skills (amongst other things). The truest measurement of teaching ability is the success/growth rate of the teacher's students' abilities, not the teacher's own abilities.

Dynamite Solid Post!! Thanks!!

:bowofrespect:

Answer only one question and the answer to the OP will be made clear: Can the teacher still teach and get his students to understand, practise and improve what they are taught?

Wether or not the teacher is still fully capable of performing everything, if the answer to the question is YES, then that teacher is still able to continue. Students expect nothing more than to be taught in a way that helps them improve what they already know, discover how to apply it and progress to a higher level.

Answer only one question and the answer to the OP will be made clear: Can the teacher still teach and get his students to understand, practise and improve what they are taught?

Wether or not the teacher is still fully capable of performing everything, if the answer to the question is YES, then that teacher is still able to continue. Students expect nothing more than to be taught in a way that helps them improve what they already know, discover how to apply it and progress to a higher level.

Exactly. A teacher with flawless technique and skills is fun to watch and can inspire me to train harder. But if said teacher couldn't really teach me how to do any of it, "the show" would get boring pretty quickly. I don't pay my instructor to entertain me, I pay him to teach me.

My CI isn't the best technical MAist I've ever seen. Not even close. He's good, and I'm sure he was very good in his prime. But he's the best MA teacher I've had. He's got a way about him that's humble, he can break down my flasw, tell me how to correct, and make me want to keep at it.

To the bold type above...

YES!!

I believe that my Hanshi title speaks towards that!!