• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's STILL Expected?!?

Yes, what to you STILL expect from the leader of your governing body? What do you think that the student body expects from the leader of your governing body?

Can the leader of your governing body be expected to reach expectations of his/her position? Can the leader of your governing body be respected if he/she is physically restricted from doing certain, if not most, or drastically, not being able to execute on the floor anymore?

Many questions...I know...I apologize!

Most, if not all, leaders of a governing body is the most Senior Dan Rank of the style in which the governing body directs, already or Ranked up through the directions of the By-Laws; the constitutional laws of the governing body.

Time measures all things. The days and the nights, the length and duration of those times between sun-up and sun-down, the breath of the existence of life in itself, both human and nature, the length and the width of that which is connected to one point to/fro another point. Yes, much more is under the control of Time.

We are born, then we die; at their given time, no sooner and no later. Things happen within ones life within the time frame that is our life, nonetheless, time announces, unceremoniously, when these are to take place, therefore, nothing can prevent it no matter how hard one tries.

We, MAists, when we die, the floor dies with us. In this topic, I'm not speaking about physical death, but instead, I'm referring to the time when ones not able to return to the floor for reasons beyond their control.

Dai-Soke passed away in 2010, but not until after he suffered two debilitating strokes within months of each other that year. He finally made it back to the floor, but not in the manner that he's accustom too: He was wheelchair bound, but he returned nonetheless. But not in the capacity that he once was a master of all he surveyed, yet, he came back to the Hombu...his home...when time allowed.

In a short time after he had returned to the Hombu, he suffered his second stroke, and that second stroke took life from him; he passed away, but not before his eyes were able to gaze upon that which he adored: His students, his friends, his beloved Hombu, and his closest friend...the floor...HIS dojo!!

Had he not been taken away from us with that second stroke, could he have returned to the daily administrative duties that that position demands for the sake of the student body, and the Hombu/SKKA?!? We'll never truly know now, will we?! His eyes were still alive, yet his spirit had been splintered because of what he had endured in the first stroke.

Tears speak in volumes, and when he returned to the Hombu, his voice was broken, yet strong, but his words told us all that his time upon the floor, and at the Hombu was over; time delivered its final blow, not once, but twice.

My time upon the Hombu floor, as well as its offices, might be reaching an end. I've not physically improved from the medical problems that I've been dealt earlier this year, and I've had a second bout return this past Sunday, and the prognosis doesn't seem so bright. But I'm a fighter and I will fight it and fight it and fight it. My medical problems prevent me from the floor...from teaching...I love teaching...I love my students...I love the student body...I love my friends and co-workers at the Hombu...I love those I've shared the floor with, no matter where that floor might've been...I love everyone here at KF!! Again, my medical problems are not terminal, but chronic.

I don't know if I can meet expectations of my position as Kaicho of the Hombu/SKKA. Am I suppose to only administrate, and to never return to the floor to teach Shindokan?? Has time caught up to me, in which, time has won this battle?? I'll win the war, God willing!!

Your thoughts, please!!

:-?

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The head of the org doesn't have to teach. It helps, but it's not a requirement in the right circumstances. For someone like you who's taught for however many years now, it's not like you're out of touch with what goes on.

It may be a great change for you. Every now and again, we need to step back and see the big picture so the little picture we've been accustomed to seeing makes more sense.

Your mentor(s) left you in charge for a reason (I'm pretty sure you said they did). They trusted the org in your hands and knew you'd carry the torch the way they felt it was supposed to be. If you're not teaching, you'll have more time to dedicate to this. You'll have more time to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

If you know how to explain stuff without showing the whole movement at full force its fine really. You can also use your more able students to show the techniques while explaining the details.

I don't think you're time is necessarily done. How does time at the Hombu get split between yourself and the Kancho?

If I understand your question...Kancho is In-House at the Hombu, while I'm only In-House at the Hombu once per quarter, Annual Testing Cycle, or whenever it's necessary. Greg lives where the Hombu is, and I now live in Houston, TX, and before TX, I lived in Owasso, OK; it's been that way for close to 20 years. Yet, my less In-House ratio has been like that since Dai-Soke passed away in 2010. Before his passing, I was flying back and forth quite a lot; at Dai-Soke's discretion, even when I was elected to Kaicho.

:)

The head of the org doesn't have to teach. It helps, but it's not a requirement in the right circumstances. For someone like you who's taught for however many years now, it's not like you're out of touch with what goes on.

It may be a great change for you. Every now and again, we need to step back and see the big picture so the little picture we've been accustomed to seeing makes more sense.

Your mentor(s) left you in charge for a reason (I'm pretty sure you said they did). They trusted the org in your hands and knew you'd carry the torch the way they felt it was supposed to be. If you're not teaching, you'll have more time to dedicate to this. You'll have more time to fix whatever needs to be fixed.

For me not being on the floor, that'll take some serious getting use to.

I wasn't left in charge by Dai-Soke, I was elected to be the current Kaicho. Before Dai-Soke's strokes, he was large and in charge, even when I was Kaicho; his right hand man, so to speak.

You're post is solid; speaks many truths that I need to seriously consider.

Doesn't my favorite saying still carry weight..."Proof is on the floor!"??

If you know how to explain stuff without showing the whole movement at full force its fine really. You can also use your more able students to show the techniques while explaining the details.

Will I, doing as your post suggests, diminish the office for which I was elected to?? Dai-Soke was on the floor and not leaving explanations with anyone to perform FOR HIM, and while I've seen what you're speaking about from other governing bodies, I'm dedicated to what I saw and learnt from Dai-Soke; he was both large and in charge WHILE still being large and in charge on the floor AT THE SAME TIME.

Still, your post is solid, and to be considered!!

How do I say this... Yes, the proof is on the floor, but you've proven your floor worthiness over the decades you've been on it. It's not like you've only been at it for a few weeks/months/years.

A great martial artist always adapts, so adapt!

That adaptation could be you visiting dojos and running a seminar/clinic, having an assistant demonstrate while you're the one who actually runs the class and sets the curriculum, or you could strictly be the keeper of the organization and dedicate all your time to ensuring the branch dojos are teaching the right thing and training the branch chiefs in the teaching methods you've acquired over your career.

Not being on the floor full time isn't the end; it's the beginning of a new chapter, or just a change.

I don't know you personally, but I'd bet a ton of money that there's no way you can stay away for any length of time. It's in your blood. Play the cards you've been dealt. You may struggle a bit at first, just like when you first started training. It's really not that much different now.

I don't think you're time is necessarily done. How does time at the Hombu get split between yourself and the Kancho?

If I understand your question...Kancho is In-House at the Hombu, while I'm only In-House at the Hombu once per quarter, Annual Testing Cycle, or whenever it's necessary. Greg lives where the Hombu is, and I now live in Houston, TX, and before TX, I lived in Owasso, OK; it's been that way for close to 20 years. Yet, my less In-House ratio has been like that since Dai-Soke passed away in 2010. Before his passing, I was flying back and forth quite a lot; at Dai-Soke's discretion, even when I was elected to Kaicho.

Yes, that did answer my question. Now at your own dojo (if you're still running one), do you have a good amount of instructors to run your dojo classes for you?

Teachers are always learning

How do I say this... Yes, the proof is on the floor, but you've proven your floor worthiness over the decades you've been on it. It's not like you've only been at it for a few weeks/months/years.

A great martial artist always adapts, so adapt!

That adaptation could be you visiting dojos and running a seminar/clinic, having an assistant demonstrate while you're the one who actually runs the class and sets the curriculum, or you could strictly be the keeper of the organization and dedicate all your time to ensuring the branch dojos are teaching the right thing and training the branch chiefs in the teaching methods you've acquired over your career.

Not being on the floor full time isn't the end; it's the beginning of a new chapter, or just a change.

I don't know you personally, but I'd bet a ton of money that there's no way you can stay away for any length of time. It's in your blood. Play the cards you've been dealt. You may struggle a bit at first, just like when you first started training. It's really not that much different now.

Solid post!! Something for me to truly consider; thank you!!

:bowofrespect: