• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sumo: The Art of Six Second Fighting

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/sumo-the-art-of-six-second-fighting

I don't follow Sumo myself but thought this was a great overview of the sport and a good breakdown of the tactics and skills involved.

Does anyone here follow the sport?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use to quite religiously follow Sumo at one time, but I've not followed Sumo as I once did before since the days that my administrative duties increased at the Hombu/SKKA. I love the 6 second fight methodology; the theatrics, the formality, and the honor of Sumo.

Thank you so very much, Danielle, for sharing the article and videos with us here at KF...thank you!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I was never interested in sumo until I watched a match early last year, and I've been hooked ever since. I only watch the six major basho in Japan, though. Hakuho and Terunofuji just had a great match, today!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

A few of the guys I train with along with myself will once in a while do a lickle Sumo at the end of one of our sessions. Make a lickle circle with a few belts and try and push/throw each other out.

We do a lot of grappling, ground grappling and takedowns from standing. Sumo is a little different, as we implement different techniques, pushing and pivoting one another rather than pulling and shooting for the legs and what not. Good conditioning too, as the bouts only last a few seconds. Good for muscle balance too. After our first session of doing this, the next few days my triceps were super sore, Never before had my triceps been sore from regular grappling. Id recommend folk to try it.

Not saying we are expert Sumo Wrestlers but we pick up a few decent techniques along the way, how to make oneself heavy and difficult to move around, lifting folk up and moving them around etc..

Iron Sheik Made me Humble.

I'm a huge Sumo fan. Love watching it, enjoy using it as a drill for training standing control, its just fun.

I always tell people Sumo is the Yin to Judos yang. Judo is often described using the analogy "move like water around a rock in a stream." Sumo is all about being that rock.

In fact, many of the moves you find is Sumo have analogous waza in judo.

I find Sumo very interesting, and probably is very misunderstood by the majority of the public. I don't think many people realize who strong those guys really are.

Oh yeah, those Sumo practitioners are quite strong, and something to reckon with if you're ever in a fight with one. The 6 second fight can be akin to a bull in a China closet; quick finality!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I find Sumo very interesting, and probably is very misunderstood by the majority of the public. I don't think many people realize who strong those guys really are.

Westerners in General have a "fat people are funny" mentality. Just look at youtube for "fat people falling" or "fat people running" or just visit the people of walmart site. Sumo are true athletes, strong, fast, technical, dedicating their life to their sport, but good luck convincing people outside of Japan/Hawaii/Samoa that. To most of us, it's just fat guys slapping beer guts.

• 1 year later...
Sumos are the ultimate warriors!

Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Well, I'm not sure about "ultimate."

Remember, in The Quest, I think the Sumo only made it to the semifinals....

:D