• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to relax for sparring

student_karateka

Here is one where I felt happy with my performance. i am in all white for both.

Here's one I am not happy with.

I can try to find others.

I feel like I should totally revamp how I spar. I am liking TJ Dillashaw's approach.

train hard!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Viewing your videos, I agree that you need to relax a bit more. Let the fight come to you a bit more rather than bringing it every time. There's a balance between attacking and defending/countering that only experience will teach.

The biggest suggestion I can make, technique-wise is that you seem to often lunge at your opponent with both hands at the same time. You got scored on several times when you did this. I'm pretty sure you're trying to throw combos of punches, but try to finish one punch before starting the next one. When you throw both fists out at the same time, you left your stomach open for a counter, which both opponents took advantage of. Had you not jumped in like that, the first match would have been dramatically different IMO. You didn't do it as often the second match, but your opponent didn't seem to give you as many chances to do it either.

From a person who doesn't know you's point of view, work on one hand punching while the other is covering up. Definitely throw combos and alternate hands, but one at a time. The speed and technique will come with practice.

Again, don't be too hard on yourself. You've barely started competing. It takes a while to find a rythym. And once you find a good, solid rythym, you'll have to change it up so you're not predictable. Only experience can teach you your best rythym and sharpen your technique. Keep at it!

I second what JR 137 said. I think once you relax some more your speed will increase.

One thing i would suggest is during your kicks you open up your hands, this is very common and takes conscious effort not to do since it is natural to put your arms out for balance. Try practicing some kicks where the kicks are executed while keeping your guard in place.

Anyway thank your for posting the videos, I'm sure if I had a video of me sparring I'd be calling out all kinds of stuff to change :)

Thanks for the videos. A couple of things our instructor tells us...

1. Don't worry about winning. Focus on improving a little at each tourney. Our instructor didn't win a lot at first, but focused on closing the point spread with her main competitors at each tourney. Eventually she caught them and ended up being multiple time world champ.

2. Think of your move set as a toolbox. Learn about 3 main moves as your main tools (backfist, upper block/reverse punch, side kick for me) then have a couple of specialty moves to round out your toolbox (ridgehand, hammer fist for me). A handyman has a ton of tools in his box, but probably only uses a few on a regular basis.

3. Don't always be on attack. A lot of points can be had from defense (defensive side kick, etc).

That you all so much the feedback is invaluable! Several good suggestions!

Good luck at your next tournament; please let us know how it went.

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Great advice so far.

Thanks for posting the vids too, not easy putting yourself out there for strangers to critique.

To build on the advice already, I would say stop going forward all the time. In both of your fights you are pressing forward as soon as the ref says go. It is good to be offensive but its also good to sit back and let them come to you too. If you are going to press forward, be aware that they may try to pick you off so keep both legs and hands tight. It's also often its better to lead with a kick and then close the gap by following up with your hands rather than reaching for the punching and exposing your torso.

A short term goal I would suggest would be to get yourself in front of a full mirror and practice shadow boxing some short combos. Nice and loose techniques techniques, maybe at half speed, so you're really relaxed. Think something like front kick - jab - cross - roundhouse or something as equally as simple. Then just pay real close attention to keeping everything (especially elbows and arms) in tight and covered.

A long term goal I would work on would be developing a lead leg side kick which you can use like a boxers jab. Picking the front leg straight up and side kicking is a great defense against someone rushing in but it also makes for a good combo starter too.

Best of luck for your next tournament :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I may have missed this in browsing through posts. Spar more. Do so without a coach and against opponents you don't normally face. If you can spar with people from other dojos, just to get out of your comfort zone, that will help to. Getting other looks, from people who aren't your dojo mates helps a ton in relaxing while sparring. I know that may not be the most practical advice, but it will help. A lot of relaxation in training is bred through familiarity. The more you do something, the more the jitters are removed.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine