• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fist rotation

Every striking art I've seen touts twisting your wrist for extra punching power. What are you thoughts on this? Has wrist torsion for power ever been studied in a lab? At what point should the torque end to provide maximum power? At what point does it become ineffective?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never been taught that it was entirely for extra power (well, apart from the McDojo I used to go to). The rotation helps to bring the bicep properly into play and helps to prevent elbow hyperextension and there is some increase in power due to those two factors but I was always taught it was as much for injury prevention as power. It also prevents the punch from locking up before impact so the arm is relatively relaxed while it is being rotated, allowing the fist to be thrown rather than pushed until the moment before impact when the muscles come into play to drive the fist home. I suppose this makes for a more efficient use of muscular strength.

I don't think it makes a huge difference with or without the rotation, people have been successful either way. Rotating seems to bring slightly different muscles into play and the body mechanics change in a subtle way so people will probably have a preference for what they're used to.

I don't think it makes a huge difference with or without the rotation, people have been successful either way. Rotating seems to bring slightly different muscles into play and the body mechanics change in a subtle way so people will probably have a preference for what they're used to.

Thats the way I've alway seen it. I know guys who awear by it, they claim "its physics" but it sounds more like cartoon physics to me. Id rather spend time improving power and accuracy than working on getting the timing of my wrist rotation right.

I am going to be blunt and state that the rotation of the wrist alone has nothing to do with power generation. It is about power transference; having the wrist in the correct position assists in kime, or fixture, which is required for transferring power effectively. If your rotation is poor, or the timing incorrect, inevitably your wrist will be in a weak position when actually hitting something. However, it is only one part of the puzzle; the shoulder, elbow, hip, and footing are just as critical.

However, it has nothing to do with power generation. Have seen a few people with power generation sufficient to injure themselves through punching do so due to poor wrist positioning.

R. Keith Williams

Every striking art I've seen touts twisting your wrist for extra punching power. What are you thoughts on this?

The twisting of the wrist is subjective to the type of the fist attack used in its action(s). Lunge, reverse, and the like.

Has wrist torsion for power ever been studied in a lab?

I'm sure it has been, one time or another.

At what point should the torque end to provide maximum power?

Just right before contact with the target; no sooner, certainly, not later.

At what point does it become ineffective?

The hips drive the technique; no hips, no power...it is at the point when the technique becomes only a push.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I am going to be blunt and state that the rotation of the wrist alone has nothing to do with power generation. It is about power transference; having the wrist in the correct position assists in kime, or fixture, which is required for transferring power effectively. If your rotation is poor, or the timing incorrect, inevitably your wrist will be in a weak position when actually hitting something. However, it is only one part of the puzzle; the shoulder, elbow, hip, and footing are just as critical.

However, it has nothing to do with power generation. Have seen a few people with power generation sufficient to injure themselves through punching do so due to poor wrist positioning.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think there is a brief analysis in one of Hee Ill Cho's books on the affect of wrist rotation and punching power.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it adds a lot to the punch. Its become an aesthetics, technical thing more that anything, I think. The power of the punch comes from the ground, driving up through the hips and core, and is transferred through the arm, with the fist merely acting as the tool that distributes the power.

If I think about it, I'll look into that book and see what I can find.

This kind of falls in line with what the others have said:

I always thought that the twisting of the wrist helped align the rest of the arm so that from chambered position (be that karate or a boxing-esque stance/hand position), the arm could fully rotate and get all the muscles of the shoulder twisting into the punch, ultimately ending with the wrist. I don't think the twist itself generates a ton of power on its own, but in the context of the whole arm twisting and extending into the punch, the twist of the wrist is necessary to achieve full extent. Ultimately, it seems like its just a natural part of the competition of a front/cross punch.

Van