• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brotherhood of Veteran Warriors Gasshuku

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick overview of an event I attended this week, in case anyone here has the chance to go to it in the future, as it is an annual event. Next year, it will be in San Antonio, Tx.

http://s18.postimg.org/sqc6odhdl/11701146_1096007190428421_9180602343132633449_n.jpg

The Brotherhood of Veteran Warriors is a martial arts organization that is entirely based on the sharing of knowledge--they don't do any ranking or curriculum--and it was founded by a group of American military veterans. This event saw me as the youngest karateka in attendance, and the only one without military or law enforcement experience. I was honored to be invited, and I had a great time! We covered standing chokes, gun defense, tuidi, self defense, knife defense, handgun retention, and Krav Maga escapes from ground situations.

http://s1.postimg.org/n4kdkwn0f/Noah_and_Chuck_Merriman.jpg

The guest of honor was Chuck Merriman Sensei, who is a 9th-dan with the Jundokan, and was recently given an honorary 10th-dan by a panel of senior karateka from several styles. I had the honor of being his demonstration partner for a few moments, and I got to speak with him quite a bit over the two days of the Gasshuku. If you ever get a chance to learn from him, you should absolutely do so! He is a great man, and a wealth of knowledge!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thanks for sharing this, Noah! Very cool. How did you get invited?

Patrick

My Sensei ran into Ed Sumner Sensei (who organized the event) at a tournament a while back, and after some talking, my Sensei was invited to attend. Unfortunately for him, we have a summer camp program at the dojo that he has to supervise all day, so he couldn't go. He passed along the information to me, and Sumner Sensei said I was welcome to join them. I was the youngest person in attendance, and the only one without some kind of military or law enforcement background, though :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

That would have been something I'd have loved to attend...and I'm a vet. However, I'm pretty much retired and my body complains alot when I practice to hard now days.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.