• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reason you heard why "we don't wash our belts?"

I used to clean my black belt with a wet washcloth. It would get sweat stains in it - dried up salt that made it look like I rolled around in white dust. When it first started showing, about a month after I earned my shodan, my sensei thought I was doing something to my belt to make it look like it was old and worn. I told him what it was and that I thought we weren't supposed to wash our belts. He said "just clean it, please." I had no problem with that.

People take the metaphor of washing away your hard work too seriously.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to clean my black belt with a wet washcloth. It would get sweat stains in it - dried up salt that made it look like I rolled around in white dust. When it first started showing, about a month after I earned my shodan, my sensei thought I was doing something to my belt to make it look like it was old and worn. I told him what it was and that I thought we weren't supposed to wash our belts. He said "just clean it, please." I had no problem with that.

People take the metaphor of washing away your hard work too seriously.

To the bold type above...

I agree, yet, I can't help but to appreciate the intent behind the belief.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I appreciate the intent too. I don't clean it unless I have to. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I didn't feel like my hard work was all for naught when I cleaned it.

Maybe people nowadays are opposed to washing a belt, especially a black belt, because it quickens the aged look of the belt? Maybe that's how they're getting that frayed and faded look so quickly :idea:

For all those that hold the belief of never washing your belt...

What about after beach training?

I just participated in my first beach training session. It was a great time. Push-ups and sit-ups in the water, kicks, punches, kata and even kumite in the water. And all of those on the sand too. Kneeling and standing meditation in the water and sand. As the nearest ocean beach is at least 2 hours away, we were at a lake. Ocean would have been even better. Maybe I'll try to make the honbu's beach training at the ocean.

How sanitary would my belt be after that? I just threw it in the washer (after hosing it off) and thought about this thread as I was doing it.

For me, outside training is No-Gi training.

I agree because the MA is personal; no need to advertise.

Yeah, we look like LARPers when we wear Gis in public. Unless you're going to Comicon as Ryu.

Plus Gi's are not cheap.

Work out clothing outside the Dojo, maybe an old pair of Gi pants, thats cool, but I wouldn't do a jacket or belt.

At least, thats my take.

Yeah, we look like LARPers when we wear Gis in public. Unless you're going to Comicon as Ryu.

Plus Gi's are not cheap.

Work out clothing outside the Dojo, maybe an old pair of Gi pants, thats cool, but I wouldn't do a jacket or belt.

At least, thats my take.

Love it...and lol on the Comicon as Ryu!!

Individually, yes. As a group is different. Our beach training is pretty much the entire school coming out, and our CI running a full class, adapted for the water and sand. Afterward, we get changed and have a pavilion picnic. We bring our families along; they watch the workout and eat with us afterward. It's a great time. I'd post a pic, but I don't have any yet. I can't copy a pic from our honbu's page, so here's a link to one...

http://www.seido.com/photo-galleries/2014/2014-0803-beach-training#

If you've never tried throwing roundhouse kicks in 14 oz gi pants that are soaking wet, standing in water that's about knee deep, you should try it. It's a different experience.

Individually, yes. As a group is different. Our beach training is pretty much the entire school coming out, and our CI running a full class, adapted for the water and sand. Afterward, we get changed and have a pavilion picnic. We bring our families along; they watch the workout and eat with us afterward. It's a great time. I'd post a pic, but I don't have any yet. I can't copy a pic from our honbu's page, so here's a link to one...

http://www.seido.com/photo-galleries/2014/2014-0803-beach-training#

If you've never tried throwing roundhouse kicks in 14 oz gi pants that are soaking wet, standing in water that's about knee deep, you should try it. It's a different experience.

Many groups today will wear their gi's while training at the beach in the fashion that Oyama did back in his days. I've never have had the pleasure to train at the beach, and believe that it might be a soul cleansing moment. Nor have I ever had the opportunity to do any waterfall training, which would be accelerating.

Enjoyed the pics, JR 137; thank you for sharing them!! Where were this pics taken??

The Santa Monica beach in LA was always available and convenient for us/me to train there; just over the Hollywood Hills in Southern California. But the waterfall training, well, I've no idea where a waterfall is in Southern California, let alone the entire California state, of which I'm sure one exists...I was never proactive in finding a freezing experience.

Always was willing to find opportunities where I could wash my gi afterwards.