• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Reason you heard why "we don't wash our belts?"

Its all part of the "the belt color signifies the belt getting dirty with more training" myth.

I wash my belt just once when I first get it to get the stiffness out. But I wouldn't hesitate to wash again it if it starts getting raunchy. You can only take tradition so far, and I draw the line at a dirty uniform. Nothing you can do to your belt would be more disrespectful than coming to class looking like what my mother use to call "a ragamuffin"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all part of the "the belt color signifies the belt getting dirty with more training" myth.

I wash my belt just once when I first get it to get the stiffness out. But I wouldn't hesitate to wash again it if it starts getting raunchy. You can only take tradition so far, and I draw the line at a dirty uniform. Nothing you can do to your belt would be more disrespectful than coming to class looking like what my mother use to call "a ragamuffin"

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have got into a routine, after the first session of the month my belt goes into the washer, my kit bag gets a good disinfecting and my contact lenses go in the bin (monthly disposables of course). New belts get two consecutive washes after my favourite gi developed a dark stain around the waist which took a fair bit of stain remover to get out again.

I was told the story about the accumulation of dirt signifying the accumulation of knowledge by my McDojo sensei but my Iaido sensei told me to wash it regularly so that it didn't show the accumulation of my mistakes (no belt ranks so it was black from day one). I think he was extracting the urine somewhat :D .

I have heard the whole belt turns black with blood, sweat, dirt, grime, communicable diseases, ect. but don't give any credit to the myth. Japan was a society with a strong emphasis on purity and cleanliness. Would they really promote wearing around a grimy piece of fabric? From what I've heard about the origins for martial arts uniforms, it seems that kimonos were worn as a formal wear, and the belt was simply a component of the garment. The whole belt-color distinction came around with Judo, I believe.

Van

I have heard the whole belt turns black with blood, sweat, dirt, grime, communicable diseases, ect. but don't give any credit to the myth. Japan was a society with a strong emphasis on purity and cleanliness. Would they really promote wearing around a grimy piece of fabric? From what I've heard about the origins for martial arts uniforms, it seems that kimonos were worn as a formal wear, and the belt was simply a component of the garment. The whole belt-color distinction came around with Judo, I believe.

Maybe, while training, their belt became soiled and all that nasty stuff, therefore, giving their belt the appearances of change...RIGHT BEFORE THEY WASHED THEIR BELT. Then they'd do this whenever necessary.

I'm only speculating!!

I use to not wash my belt that often after learning the myth was indeed a myth, for two reasons. One, my mom forbid me from using her washing machine. Might've been because of the bleach incident. Two, I was tired of unwrapping my belt from around the agitator; it would wrap itself around everything like a dog would with its leash in the backyard. Then I learned about a new invention...the hose bag. It's the bag that held my moms pantyhose while they were in the washing machine; a necessity IS the means of inventions! After that, my belt didn't wrap around everything. Yes, mom STILL wouldn't allow me to use the washing machine...sheech, she can be so stubborn.

:idea:

Maybe, while training, their belt became soiled and all that nasty stuff, therefore, giving their belt the appearances of change...RIGHT BEFORE THEY WASHED THEIR BELT. Then they'd do this whenever necessary.

:o

I never thought about it like that.

As far as actually washing my belt, I can't say I do it that often. It has never seemed to have become dirty enough to warrant washing it.

In related news, I have a new found appreciation for my ability to use my mother's washing machine. :P

Van

:o

I never thought about it like that.

As far as actually washing my belt, I can't say I do it that often. It has never seemed to have become dirty enough to warrant washing it.

In related news, I have a new found appreciation for my ability to use my mother's washing machine. :P

Yeah, I'll wash the gi, and not even think about washing the belt because it's a belt. Nicely tucked in my bag or placed on a hat rack in the corner; out of mind.

:P

Yeah, I'll wash the gi, and not even think about washing the belt because it's a belt.

Exactly. My belt goes on the rack next to my other (non-martial arts) belts. I have never really contemplated washing them...

I've never washed one, but mainly because I don't think I've ever needed to. The uniform gets nasty, but the belt really doesn't.