• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you practice martial arts for?

I'm 38 years old. I have been in a great deal of street fights as a kid. I am not proud of this today, I am just being open with my fellow forum members because I think that honesty is a great form of respect. It's easy to fight, and I enjoy the challenge of not fighting more. Everybody's life experiences are different and thus they have different reasons for practicing martial arts. I am so confident in my ability to NOT FIGHT that self defense is one of the last reasons I practice. The body strengthening, and improvement in skill I can see, the discipline that I myself and fellow martial artists display, the sportsmanship as we'll. I love the health benefits, mental focus, and exercise. These are the reasons I train. I teach for similar reasons I might add. It's simply a passion I have always had.

How about you, what is it that makes you interested, or keeps you interested, what draws you to martial arts and what is your goals?

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I train? In no particular order:-

- For self discipline/self control

- For health benefits

- So I do not have to "fight"

- Increase self belief and confidence

- Personal achievement

I trained in my youth to be able to stand up for myself as I was bullied at school. That was years ago now (like 30 years), now, in my ever growing years, I train for the reasons listed above. When I can't train for whatever reason, I get annoyed with myself as I miss it that much and my thoughts get strange. I love the challenge of pushing myself that bit further, that bit harder and, now that I have finally made the decision to start as a novice again; I feel great! I have seriously missed that burn in the calf and in the arms from a really good training session.

I train to fight. Against aging, sickness, depression and many other enemies from within. Practical defense is the general focus of my training thanks to my instructor, but the cultural and historical background are also important to me because of close personal ties.

-fitness

-confidence

-self defence

-looking like bruce lee

-love of east asian culture

-simple love of martial arts and it's history

-being batman

Really good answers so far, but "looking like Bruce lee" takes the cake haha

At first, it was for self-perseverance; protection!!

Secondly, as a child, up to 12 years old, it was for rank.

Thirdly, it was for the love of Shindokan; at 12 years old, I no longer desired rank!!

Fourthly, at 17 years old, my desire to teach Shindokan was my driving force.

Fifthly, at 21 years old, I opened my first dojo; my students, then...now...and in the future, is the main reason as to why I continue to perfect that which can never be perfected.

Within, my strongest desire to continue these many, many years was to please one man: Yoshinobu Takahashi, my Sensei, Dai-Soke!! I never wanted to please anybody more than him; his slight smile, at times, was an affirmation that I was on the right track across the board. His teachings, not just the martial art part, but EVERYTHING that made me the MAist...the man...the husband...the friend...the brother...the son...the person that I am today. I owe him everything!!

Are my reasons good enough? That's not up to me to decide; that's up to my students...my children...my wife...my friends...my relatives...my fellow MAists...and for those I've yet to meet.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sensei you always have well thought out posts and I'm envious of that ability. Nice post. All you guys great posts.

I wonder how many people train just to stick with it, even after they are bored with it? Some people just don't like to quit.

I thought of Another benefit I receive from training D keepers me training, it is that my whole family does it, as it's a great tool to keep us doing something cunstructive together.

I started training because I had an interest in weapons and Japanese culture, and wanted to learn Japanese sword, but it wasn't available, so I joined a karate dojo that also taught weapons. Secondarily, I also hoped it would get me in better shape.

Now, I train for the love of it, and for developing self defense skills, and for teaching.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

As a child I was put into karate because both my father and uncle practiced.

I took a huge liking to it.

I hated it during my teenage years, and actually took a couple years off, but have since returned to the same organization/dojo.

My passion for karate is now rich. I make massive sacrifices for it, for myself.

I practice for...

-Spirituality

-Physical health benefits

-Mental health benefits

-Self/others defense

-In hopes of continuing the passage of knowledge along someday.

For me, rank and achievement are not my primary goals. My goals are to do better in everything everyday. Constant endeavorment. Thus is karate-do.

I have put in 10 years of training, and in 10 days I go for my first shodan exam. Although rank is not my primary concern, this will be an important day.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Congrats kanku65, hope it goes well for you!

Wastelander, You can always look into korean sword (haidong gumdo) as it is derived from Japanese sword just as tang Soo do looks almost identical to Shotokan! Also broad sword is Chinese and is really cool as we'll. you should see if there's something in the area or you pick one of them up! I just mean, if you have a passion for it there are other avenues to learn sword!