• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lets talk kihon

muttley

In Wado Ryu we technically have two versions. We have what we call line work. This is our kihon. Which is basics blocks, kicks, punches for all grades. We also have 2 person drills called kihon kumite. Identified as number1 and number 2 etc. up to 10. These are are fixed set of drills where the defender wins.

They have slightly different reasoning behind them.

Kihon or "basics" as we are discussing are repetitive techniques usually done on mass either standing (Sonoba-kihon) or stepping (Ido-kihon).

They are really moves found in solo kata which are done multiple times in a "flattened-out" format.

The purpose of Kihon is to engrain good technical ability from a physical point of view.

Wado-ryu's Kihon Kumite (which translates as fundamentals of fighting) is more about taking the techniques and learning how to utilise them against an opponent.

Its about the stratagems of fighting - allowing us to develop things like correct distance, timing, centre line and body movement etc.

It's also about something in Budo called "Kobo Ittai", which literally means attack and defence are one.

The defender should have an attackers mind-set (think first move of KK no.1 - What are you really doing?).

It's about both protagonist seeking to achieve "Sente"!

Nothing basic about either!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I too love kihon.

My instructor doesn't like the term basics. I have to agree.

Basics implies white belt techniques to me.

the term he prefers is fundamentals.

Kihon like kata is is something you hone over a lifetime.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Basic and fundamental are actually interchangeable. The issue is that basic is often taken to mean simple or "adequate" and thus has a negative connotation.

Interestingly, research suggests it takes around 3 weeks to develop a habit, and around 7 years to master a skill. However, in karate, we will always discover a deficiency, and as we age and our bodies alter, what is optimum changes.

Kihon should be taken as concepts rather than physical objects, however, with out repetition and physicality one cannot continue to evolve and adapt the ideas to one's changing physique. The tax analogy is actually incredibly apt, though instead of the percentage you pay changing, I would say it is closer to how you pay changing over time.

R. Keith Williams

We don't have kihon, but we just call it "basics," but, I think this term is a disservice. These are all important movements, and if they aren't good, then no other techniques will be good, either.

Most English speaking Karate dojo will also refer to Kihon as "basics".

The word Kihon however is more accurately translated as "foundation".

When you think of it that way, it makes a lot more sense.

K.

Yes, it does. Thank you.

To be or not to be; that is the question.

Using both the English and Japanese terms has become the rage of the page. Kihon...basics...Kata...forms...Kumite...sparring!! In the nutshell, it's becoming the can't see the trees because of the forest. Train hard and train well!!

The instructor must set the tone, and be consistent in it. Like in anything, there's basics, intermediate, and advanced; without the basics, the later two can't be reached.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Love Kihon. As my Shihan has said, Easy to learn, very difficult to master!

Every class it doesnt matter which grade you are, you will ALWAYS get picked up and corrected on some part of your kihon. Just when you think you know your kihon, you get told something that changes your thinking completley, and kihon takes on a whole different meaning.

love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh, we trained a kihon-focused class Friday and I'm still sore, especially in all my upper leg muscles, all sides. We focused on zenkutsu dachi and kokutsu dachi. I also discovered that my stances need even more correcting than I realized. I was too wide in my zenkutsu dachi, and my knee doesn't point properly over my toe - - too many years of forcing turnout in highland dancing (which isn't correct to do in dancing either, incidentally, but a lot of people 'cheat' like I did when the hips wouldn't rotate out to proper turnout and force the feet a little extra out). Now I'm trying to get my feet to do the opposite (turn-in), and my ankles are protesting in pain. I can't get my feet facing front in kiba-dachi without my ankles burning in pain. It doesn't hurt for long afterward, so not an injury, but I've always found it when I try to do kiba dachi properly, and now am realizing that a properly done zenkutsu dachi causes the same issue. Anyone know a good way to help my ankles get better flexibility so it isn't so painful? Or do I just need to start standing in kiba dachi all the time? A less painful way of stretching out that (outside, just above the ankle bone) muscle in my ankle would be nice though...lol. Am I the only one with this odd problem? Lol.

Sorry for the hijack, I figured it is kihon-related. And I agree with the OP's mindset on Kihon. There is definitely a lot of strength to be gained in the necessary muscles by use of proper kihon, and I definitely respect it. Our Sensei does often say 'basics' instead of 'kihon', but he still puts a lot of emphasis on them. We have different focuses every class, but we always work on basics first after warming up - - even if the focus that day IS basics (kihon).

• 2 weeks later...

We do Kihon for a good 15mins or so most classes. We use the time to run through techniques relevant to our grade and typically focus on form and intensity. Following that and the warmup I've usually a pretty good layer of swear over me!