• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age uke: history & variations

Slingblade01

Same in Shindokan...

Our deflecting arm begins on the inside, and then it travels to the outside, and ends at the very last moment with a sharp snap to the target.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Back to the original question. What you will probably find that it's not all styles of Shito Ryu that block form the inside, it's a Hayashi-Ha Shito-Ryu thing.

I trained in Hayashi-Ha Shito-Ryu for 12-13 years and Kyokushin-Kai for the last 4 years. Soke Teruo Hayashi was well known for his Dojo challenges. I had the pleasure of training with him in 1993 (or there a bouts). Soke Hayashi passed away in 2004 and was either 9th or 10th dan. I believe he was also in a prominent position in WKF.

Jodan (Age) Uke in Hayashi karate comes form the inside and the arm rotates with the upper forearm out, opposite to most other styles. The technique also pushes forward and up to throw the attacking arm back towards the attacker. Hayashi's also commented that blocking like as done with other karate styles can draw the attack towards yourself rather then away.

First things first...Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

Solid post!!

Osu

Thank you sensei8. I'm a long term reader, first time poster.

Shindokan blocking style sounds similar to Hayashi's method.

Yes, very similar to Hayashi's method. However, the similarity ends there because we also combine the deflection to end in a grasp for control. Not just to deflect, but to control the arm, for example, for different transitions...our deflections aren't meant to END at the deflection but to continue to control, if only for a moment.