• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age uke: history & variations

Slingblade01

I've been spending a little time studying the nuances of some techniques and their variations based on styles. I've noticed that age uke rises inside (between the body and lowering arm) with Shito-ryu and outside with Shotokan. How do other styles perform this block? What is the history of the difference?

Thank you,

David

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Shorin ryu as well as other Okinawan schools the age uke is always done with the blocking arm passing in front of the retracting arm. This is the same for all uke techniques.

With every type block the arms cross in front of the body to leave no gaps by keeping the movement short and tight to the body. Keep in mind that blocks are only called that because of what they look like and the way they are performed is meant to teach the correct application which is simultaneous offense and defense. As such there are no blocks in karate and blocks are not meant to be used the way they are done in basics.

Age uke for example, could be used as either a counter punch knocking the attacking arm and fist as it strikes the attacker's upper area. Another possibility commonly taught is as an arm bar aimed under the jaw. All this is always with the lead hand or whichever is closer to the target. That is one reason why the "blocking" arm trajectory is in front of the retracting arm.

With every type block the arms cross in front of the body to leave no gaps by keeping the movement short and tight to the body. Keep in mind that blocks are only called that because of what they look like and the way they are performed is meant to teach the correct application which is simultaneous offense and defense. As such there are no blocks in karate and blocks are not meant to be used the way they are done in basics.

Age uke for example, could be used as either a counter punch knocking the attacking arm and fist as it strikes the attacker's upper area. Another possibility commonly taught is as an arm bar aimed under the jaw. All this is always with the lead hand or whichever is closer to the target. That is one reason why the "blocking" arm trajectory is in front of the retracting arm.

The same goes for shotokan as well. The area I've highlighted is something that is often forgotten by instructors, and many practitioners go without ever learning.

Unfortunately I'm unclear on the history of age uke, but any instructor who takes their time teaching and breaking down uke techniques is in my opinion worth listening to. Too many get caught up in the idea of just 'blocking, blocking, always blocking' when the realities of uke techniques are incredibly vast in detail. They are not simply blocking movements, but instead latent with hidden traps, locks, bars, and takedowns, which can be most easily applied AS blocking movements.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Part of the problem with the idea of a "block" comes from the attempt to translate an Eastern concept into Western terms. The actual concept is less about stopping the attack than it is about exploiting it while counter-attacking. This idea is a fundamental principle in Okinawan karate and Chinese martial arts. Uke actually means "receive" if translated literally.

The block-and-then-attack is easier to explain and understand for beginners, but when applied the "block" is both defense and counter at the same time. If the techniques are practised and taught with this in mind, the specifics are less important.

I agree with your Spartacus but I think we can go one step further.

Age Uke (and all the other movements in kata) never had the names they have today (if they ever had names at all!). Although I'm writing this without any chance to find any references, the names that are largely in use currently, stem from I believe early 1900s Japan.

Considering the majority of kata are much older than that, I tend to put very little significance on both the terms "block" and "receive".

The techniques and defining fundamental principles were always part of karate, however it is highly probable that the terminology in use today appeared at the time karate was beginning to be taught to large groups.

This first occurred in Okinawan schools under teachers such as Itosu Anko around 1900. Prior to that instruction was much more personal and done in secret. Perhaps teaching groups required all the techniques to be codified and categorized. What is important is not so much learning individual techniques, but the principles of how they work. Focus on what is common to all the "blocks" and whatever is done with that principle applied will be effective.

Back to the original question. What you will probably find that it's not all styles of Shito Ryu that block form the inside, it's a Hayashi-Ha Shito-Ryu thing.

I trained in Hayashi-Ha Shito-Ryu for 12-13 years and Kyokushin-Kai for the last 4 years. Soke Teruo Hayashi was well known for his Dojo challenges. I had the pleasure of training with him in 1993 (or there a bouts). Soke Hayashi passed away in 2004 and was either 9th or 10th dan. I believe he was also in a prominent position in WKF.

Jodan (Age) Uke in Hayashi karate comes form the inside and the arm rotates with the upper forearm out, opposite to most other styles. The technique also pushes forward and up to throw the attacking arm back towards the attacker. Hayashi's also commented that blocking like as done with other karate styles can draw the attack towards yourself rather then away.

The same goes for shotokan as well. The area I've highlighted is something that is often forgotten by instructors, and many practitioners go without ever learning.

I have to say, I think you guys are overstating things a bit.

There are blocks in karate, there have always been blocks in karate. Just about every Okinawan master ever has been photographed demonstrating blocks from karate. If there were no blocks in karate how did all the karate instructors in the world teach almost identical techniques, while next to no one learned the methods discussed until the modern Bunkai re-engineers started discussing it? If there are no blocks in karate what happened to them? Chinese martial arts all make use of blocking techniques and karate is Okinawanised kungfu, so where did they go?

There are blocks; there are not only blocks, but they are there.

If we abandon the basics, we are as much in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water as we are of moving beyond the artificial restrictions placed upon the art.

I do the block with the blocking arm going to the outside. I think we did it to the inside in the ATA. I think it comes down to searching what the application is (if there is one), and asking why, if there is a why.