• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assistant instructor left to open new school

I think the most important part of this thread is to recognize that a person with a passion to teach any particular style of these beautiful arts should not be held back by a head instructor, because as somebody pointed out above the main goal should be to spread the love of martial arts to the world and not to spread a particular dojo. The difference between traditional martial arts and things like sports mixed martial arts is the foundation of cultivating character, this alone is very beneficial to our society as a whole and one should not be held back because you did not stay with a particular dojo.

Just my two cents of course

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I taught for about a year in a studio. Long story but the place I taught for as an assistant instructor had 2 locations, a stand alone place, and a rec center. Btw I had no other experience in teaching, just a passion, drive, and a natural ability I guess. I was set to take over the rec center in January 2015. The master of the school was very happy with my abilities and I ran full classes. He wanted much more training time then I could give and I told him I just couldn't spend 5 days a week there anymore 4hrs a night. He felt I needed to dedicate that much time or I was not going to take over his school. I told him I just couldn't anymore and needed to spend time with my family some evenings.

Next thing I know he announced the programs closure on Facebook, that's how I found out. I went looking for a place to teach, after a little over two months I couldn't find a place to teach, but there was a place to teach, it was the rec center he was closing. As insulted as he may be I saw an opportunity to live my dream, no spite for him, not animosity, just going for my passion. So, that was 6 months ago, I started with 7 students in the first month. I am now over 30 students and going strong with 4 seperate classes twice a week.

I didn't move up the street from my instructor, I moved into his old place. I hated to do it but it felt like the only way at the time. I'm open to peoples comments or opinions about it weather good or bad, but in the end I speak as the "assistant instructor" the tittle speaks about in a sense, and I feel that any instructor that doesn't support you on your endeavor probably has a greedy or selfish side. As somebody posted above, what was the situation exactly in which somebody left a dojo and opened one up the street.

Either way, I would choose to be farther away, just like I would choose to not take over my instructors exact location after he closes it... BUT things happen and sometimes you got to do what you got to do!

His loss, in my opinion. Rec center classes usually serve a different demographic than stand alones-- oftentimes they cater to students who can't afford a more expensive school. I say good for you for jumping in to continue to provide that opportunity for the citizens of your community.

I don't have a problem with he or anyone else opening a school. In previous jobs I was prohibited from leaving a company and going to work for a competitor, etc. That's why I asked. I don't know how things work in the MA world.

Some background though. This was not a clean break from our school. Notice was given that he was leaving via a text message of all things. Recruiting had been going on previous to his leaving. There are some veiled shots at our school on the new school's web site.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Non-competes are really common in the industry I work in but realistically they are unenforceable because you still have a right to work. Unless you specifically target your former employer's customers then it's a different matter..

To be honest, if he left on good terms but didn't want to associate himself with the current school, then its just bad form to set up so close. If that wasnt the case and there is bad blood, quite frankly he can do whatever he wants wherever he wants.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I taught for about a year in a studio. Long story but the place I taught for as an assistant instructor had 2 locations, a stand alone place, and a rec center. Btw I had no other experience in teaching, just a passion, drive, and a natural ability I guess. I was set to take over the rec center in January 2015. The master of the school was very happy with my abilities and I ran full classes. He wanted much more training time then I could give and I told him I just couldn't spend 5 days a week there anymore 4hrs a night. He felt I needed to dedicate that much time or I was not going to take over his school. I told him I just couldn't anymore and needed to spend time with my family some evenings.

Next thing I know he announced the programs closure on Facebook, that's how I found out. I went looking for a place to teach, after a little over two months I couldn't find a place to teach, but there was a place to teach, it was the rec center he was closing. As insulted as he may be I saw an opportunity to live my dream, no spite for him, not animosity, just going for my passion. So, that was 6 months ago, I started with 7 students in the first month. I am now over 30 students and going strong with 4 seperate classes twice a week.

I didn't move up the street from my instructor, I moved into his old place. I hated to do it but it felt like the only way at the time. I'm open to peoples comments or opinions about it weather good or bad, but in the end I speak as the "assistant instructor" the tittle speaks about in a sense, and I feel that any instructor that doesn't support you on your endeavor probably has a greedy or selfish side. As somebody posted above, what was the situation exactly in which somebody left a dojo and opened one up the street.

Either way, I would choose to be farther away, just like I would choose to not take over my instructors exact location after he closes it... BUT things happen and sometimes you got to do what you got to do!

His loss, in my opinion. Rec center classes usually serve a different demographic than stand alones-- oftentimes they cater to students who can't afford a more expensive school. I say good for you for jumping in to continue to provide that opportunity for the citizens of your community.

Yeah thanks. This is completely true in my opinion as we'll. the city I do it in is more poverty stricken then some others in the area. It's a good feeling to provide for those that wish to learn bit May not be able to afford a stand alone place. I have actually heard it from students parents, that they wouldn't be training if it was the going rate of a stand alone dojo.

Thanks for the nod!

How would an established dojo possibly enforce the non-compete idea?

They couldn't!! They only could to an employee of said dojo, but not with the CI/dojo itself.

What happened when someone ignored it?

Nothing!!

But it never stopped them from trying to bully the un-expecting dojo.

It was tried on me several times, and each time, I simply just laughed in their faces and kicked them out of my dojo! Never to hear from them again!

Circa 1960-1980 were different times, more so than they are today.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is an interesting situation. What are your instructor's thoughts on all this? Was there a bad break, or a mutual agreement?

Definitely not a mutual agreement. He sent his 2 week notice via a text message which I find immature and cowardly (just my opinion).

Our instructor feels blind sided and betrayed. The person that left wanted to take our school in a different direction, more MMA and kickboxing, and less kata and point fighting. Multiple times the head instructor allowed this person to try to get an MMA program going at the school and each time the interest just wasn't there to continue. Also, the head instructor and his family often times helped this individual with bills when he couldn't afford something and provided him with the school's van when he couldn't afford car repairs. This plus the recruiting of students are the main pain points.

I knew he wasn't happy, but I feel the whole way he handled things was unprofessional. I've wished him well and thanked him for his work with my sons.

This is an interesting situation. What are your instructor's thoughts on all this? Was there a bad break, or a mutual agreement?

Definitely not a mutual agreement. He sent his 2 week notice via a text message which I find immature and cowardly (just my opinion).

Our instructor feels blind sided and betrayed. The person that left wanted to take our school in a different direction, more MMA and kickboxing, and less kata and point fighting. Multiple times the head instructor allowed this person to try to get an MMA program going at the school and each time the interest just wasn't there to continue. Also, the head instructor and his family often times helped this individual with bills when he couldn't afford something and provided him with the school's van when he couldn't afford car repairs. This plus the recruiting of students are the main pain points.

I knew he wasn't happy, but I feel the whole way he handled things was unprofessional. I've wished him well and thanked him for his work with my sons.

I am not sticking up for anybody because I don't know the guy, but sometimes students don't understand exactly what happened because from their perception it may look one way but who knows what happens in private conversations. When I left the other instructors and students all pick a side as if it was a sports team, they all show loyalty to the head instructor. What they did not know if some of the behind the scenes things that happened that would probably have changed their opinion, instead they only saw from their perception which was not a complete truth and decided to take a side.

Again it's not my opinion that he was right for leaving or getting a good way, I'm simply saying often times there is much more than meets DI from an outsiders perspective.

So many things like this happen via text or social media anymore. Its the way this younger generation is becoming. They won't confront and speak to someone face to face. But I don't know how old this instructor that left is.

It will be interesting to see if his program gains traction away from your school that he couldn't gain while there. There definitely is a niche out there for that approach, and I can understand the desire for someone to move from a more traditional teaching mode and curriculum to the MMA platform.

As for the other aspects, its too bad that he couldn't have at least been more up front with someone that helped him out so much. But, perhaps he couldn't do it face-to-face because of that, but still felt he needed to go his own way.

If he can pull it off a successful school more power to him. But seeing how you practice Shotokan karate. I am not sure if it is considered a smart move to open ANOTHER Shotokan school since its not a popular style to practice in modern times.

Its just a weird thing to see a established school and 10 minutes away another new school of the same style.

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.