• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help to improve a few areas

Canadian77

I've been taking karate for over a year now, coming up on a year and a half. I still really love it, and I know I've come a long way. I feel my technique has improved a lot, my flexibility is slowly getting better, and I pick up new techniques and basics drills a lot faster than I used to. I am a female in my (very...) late 30s, so I think that's a pretty good start. I don't have a lot of time for practice at home, as I work full time an hour from my home, and have two young kids with their own activities. So I do try to get to the dojo 3-4 times a week, and give my all when I'm there.

There are a few things I'm still struggling with, though. I wonder if you have any advice:

1 - Speed. I feel like I'm going through water compared to some of these younger teens or more experienced adults. And I mean speed in just about every way possible. My reflexes feel so slow in sparring, as is my brain in thinking of what to try next, and my body in executing it. I can get decent technique when we go slowly, and often our Sensei will say that in kata slow and correct is better. But other times, especially in drills, we are encouraged to speed up, and I struggle to maintain some semblance of proper technique. But even worse is sparring. I feel like we're in the Matrix, but I'm one of those guys going normal speed while I fight Neo or Agent Smith...lol. Our Sensei does all the right things - - goes over a few different combinations for us to practice before sparring, and encourages us to try to apply them when the clock starts. But I still have such a hard time getting my brain to speed it's signals up, and my body to speed up its response. I know that practice is important too, especially with sparring, and I admit I tend to avoid it. But it's not getting hit that bothers me so much, it's looking ridiculous, feeling embarrassed by what feels like me doing slow Thai Chi next to Jackie Chan...lol.

2 - Strength. You know, as much as I love karate, I do sometimes feel like I have the opposite to optimal body for this...lol. My upper body strength is another issue. It has come leaps and bounds from a year and a half ago. I see muscles! I can do push ups on my toes and not my knees - - well not too deeply yet but improving. However, I started at about strength level 0.1. My build is naturally very thin, my shoulders are non-existent, and my arms are sticks. I know I am improving at a decent rate, but I feel like I started so far behind that my strength doesn't match my belt colour. My legs started out with some ok strength with my background in highland dance, but the muscles from highland were pretty specific, and karate is much more well-rounded in muscle use. I think that's fantastic, and much better for injury prevention, but it means a lot of leg muscles have started from scratch too. My kicks are improving in height and technique, but I really can't kick with nearly as much force as my peers. Strength is also my enemy in some self-defense tehnique. If we are supposed to lift our partner at all, I just can't.

3 - Breakfalls. I am having a heck of a time with these. Back break falls aren't too bad, or falling to the side onto my back. I still need to work on them but I have an idea of things to focus on. But front break falls...I just can't seem to get it consistent enough to feel confident to apply them, so I haven't really been able to apply them. I chicken out. The same with falling from a bit higher. It looks easy when it's demonstrated, but I can't seem to get it to click.

I'm not afraid of hard work, especially on the mats. I am willing to put in the effort and exertion at the dojo. I could try to find some time to put in some practice at home, but I with my limited time I would want to be efficient and do things that would be the most beneficial. But I also don't want to do too much at home knowing that I am pushing hard 3-4 times a week - - I know my muscles need a bit of a break too. I'm not such a young'un anymore, and I want to take care of myself.

I am still in the "intermediate" belts, but my next belt is purple. At our dojo, things are stepped up a bit at that point. After purple comes an advanced purple, followed by brown, an advanced brown, and then black. It's still a few years to get through all those, at least, but there is so much that I feel I need to get before getting there that I am worried what I am doing now isn't enough.

So, I know there are lots of experts here with plenty of experience. Do you have any advice for me?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1. Speed - You are actually talking about two different things, here--physical speed, and mental speed. Physical speed can be increased in a number of ways. Plyometric and explosive weight training (Olympic lifts) will do that. Proper body mechanics will also do that, if you drill your basics with that in mind. Mental speed will develop naturally over the course of your training, I believe. The more you spar and drill, the faster your reaction time will be, and the less you will have to think about what to do.

2. Strength - This one is pretty straight-forward; start a strength training regimen of some kind. Check out Michael Clarke's book on Hojo Undo, and/or look into modern programs like Stronglifts, Wendler, or Starting Strength. Get the right nutrition, lift heavy things, and get some sleep, and you will get stronger.

3. Breakfalls - It seems like your main concern is with front falls, which isn't surprising, since they are the scariest breakfall to learn, and quite jarring. Have you tried practicing them from a kneeling position on the floor, so you don't have to fall as far?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Something else to try regarding speed..RELAX...RELAX...AND THEN RELAX SOME MORE!

Tense muscles move more slowly..relax and throw your kick/punch and tense the muscles jut before impact...of full extension.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

1. Speed - You are actually talking about two different things, here--physical speed, and mental speed. Physical speed can be increased in a number of ways. Plyometric and explosive weight training (Olympic lifts) will do that. Proper body mechanics will also do that, if you drill your basics with that in mind. Mental speed will develop naturally over the course of your training, I believe. The more you spar and drill, the faster your reaction time will be, and the less you will have to think about what to do.

2. Strength - This one is pretty straight-forward; start a strength training regimen of some kind. Check out Michael Clarke's book on Hojo Undo, and/or look into modern programs like Stronglifts, Wendler, or Starting Strength. Get the right nutrition, lift heavy things, and get some sleep, and you will get stronger.

3. Breakfalls - It seems like your main concern is with front falls, which isn't surprising, since they are the scariest breakfall to learn, and quite jarring. Have you tried practicing them from a kneeling position on the floor, so you don't have to fall as far?

Absolutely. :) This is great advice. As always, check with your instructor/Sensei to see what help or additional training s/he can provide you.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...