• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Small man, big power

Spartacus Maximus

There are many stories and accounts of karateka who can punch or kick much harder than what a person of their size could be expected to be capable of doing.

What is the process that allows a small person to strike with such power? Training and applying proper body mechanics is certainly the key, but what are the limitations?

For example, how hard can a man weighing 150lbs/70kg for 5ft7 or 1meter68cm become able to hit? My sensei strikes like a freight train but is shorter than that, Bruce Lee also could hit quite hard for his size. How does it work? The theories are somewhat familiar but understanding it and actually beginning to apply it still escapes me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Perception is a lot of it. You say "what a person of their size could be expected to be capable of doing" but there are plenty of welterweight boxers with the approximate dimensions you listed that can knock a man out without any trouble. Look at Pacquaio, 5'5", runs under 150 lbs, and over half his wins are KO.

Learn WHERE to hit, HOW to hit, and the rest is TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. Traditional training, weight lifting, calisthenics, etc.

Speed is the key , mass x velocity = power

the faster you can move and deliver more power is produced ,of course correct body mechanics is a factor .

this is how a smaller man can have more power than a much bigger man.

one important key to have is a relaxed muscles to increase speed ,tensing only at the moment of impact (kime) for a fraction of second .

It is a process that takes time to develop but certainly worth the effort .

never give up !

Speed is the key , mass x velocity = power

the faster you can move and deliver more power is produced ,of course correct body mechanics is a factor .

this is how a smaller man can have more power than a much bigger man.

one important key to have is a relaxed muscles to increase speed ,tensing only at the moment of impact (kime) for a fraction of second .

It is a process that takes time to develop but certainly worth the effort .

Exactly!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

It's important to remember that there is more than one way to generate power. For example, Shorin Ryu tends to generate this power from the ground up by turning the body. With way uses the body to strike, it doesn't necessarily use its entire weight to do so, as other ways would. The trick is to find the way that works best for your body and go from there. If you wanted to generate power as your sensei would teach you, then continually practice with a makawari or heavy bag until you can both generate great power and do the technique correctly.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

It's important to remember that there is more than one way to generate power. For example, Shorin Ryu tends to generate this power from the ground up by turning the body. With way uses the body to strike, it doesn't necessarily use its entire weight to do so, as other ways would. The trick is to find the way that works best for your body and go from there. If you wanted to generate power as your sensei would teach you, then continually practice with a makawari or heavy bag until you can both generate great power and do the technique correctly.

Even when you walk and take step forward you have to push your foot to the ground to generate power to go forward , I think it is called action reaction .. but the faster you do it the more power you generate and in case of punching and kicking we learn to channel that energy from ground up to our striking hand or foot .

never give up !

There are many stories and accounts of karateka who can punch or kick much harder than what a person of their size could be expected to be capable of doing.

What is the process that allows a small person to strike with such power? Training and applying proper body mechanics is certainly the key, but what are the limitations?

For example, how hard can a man weighing 150lbs/70kg for 5ft7 or 1meter68cm become able to hit? My sensei strikes like a freight train but is shorter than that, Bruce Lee also could hit quite hard for his size. How does it work? The theories are somewhat familiar but understanding it and actually beginning to apply it still escapes me.

There are two ways to generate kinetic energy. (1) weight transfer, and (2) body rotation. Most people do neither when they start training. Instead they try and "muscle" their arms and legs into the target. Many people learn the (2) body rotation after their instructors constantly yell at them to thrown their hips into their strikes. But most people fail to execute (1) the weight transfer.

Therefore you must find ways to manipulate your weight when you strike. Most people either (a) push off the ground, or (b) take a baby step before a strike. They are really the same thing, just explained differently. Katatekas usually favor (a) pushing off (which is why we are obsessed with not lifting the heel off the ground). Most Muay Thai boxers favor taking a baby step. Once you master this weight manipulation, you will be able to temporarily increase your weight from 150 lbs to 200lbs.

Hey Guys,

this will be my first post here. I'm fairly new as i've only trained shotokan karate for nearly a year now (just graduated 7'th kyu).

I am one of these "small Guys". 169 cm tall weighting roughly 60 kg. During the classes in our dojo i always get to spar with much heavier and taller Guys at my own age (i'm 28) or older. I tend to be much quicker in both tzuki's and geri's.

In my Humble opinion i think it is of course your physics, but the execution plays such a huge part.

I use my heavybag several times a week. I often train my tzuki's to improve the speed, accuracy and execution. I don't know if you Guys have experienced the same. But i've tried some times now, where i Struck with the proper execution and full focus (kime). All these Things brought so much power that i was shocked.. my heavybag flew off from 3 of the chains, dingling in just 1.

I've never been concidered strong or "buffed", far from. But with the proper technique and execution, it's simply amazing what you can do.

:)

Yes, it is possible for smaller people to develop great power. There are many theories regarding power generation in MAs. In my MA, we use the Ti concept of gamanku.

My most recent explanation of gamanku can be found here: http://www.karateforums.com/sine-wave-vs-hip-twist-vt48391.html

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Hey Guys,

this will be my first post here. I'm fairly new as i've only trained shotokan karate for nearly a year now (just graduated 7'th kyu).

I am one of these "small Guys". 169 cm tall weighting roughly 60 kg. During the classes in our dojo i always get to spar with much heavier and taller Guys at my own age (i'm 28) or older. I tend to be much quicker in both tzuki's and geri's.

In my Humble opinion i think it is of course your physics, but the execution plays such a huge part.

I use my heavybag several times a week. I often train my tzuki's to improve the speed, accuracy and execution. I don't know if you Guys have experienced the same. But i've tried some times now, where i Struck with the proper execution and full focus (kime). All these Things brought so much power that i was shocked.. my heavybag flew off from 3 of the chains, dingling in just 1.

I've never been concidered strong or "buffed", far from. But with the proper technique and execution, it's simply amazing what you can do.

:)

Welcome to KF! Glad you've decided to make us a part of your journey. :)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...