• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a mc dojo??

bigjono

Apparently my school is a mc dojo. I train at GKR but I've been yellow belt for about 1-2 years now and there are no kids with black belts. I didn't have the money to buy a gi so they even donated one for me.

Yes, yes it is. Your sparring is non contact, making contact is ESSENTIAL when sparring.

You need to learn to take hits as well as deliver. But if you're happy training with them, then fair play to you. If not, go to another dojo and learn properly.

Well i think our class is different or corrupt because they let yellow belt and above contact just not white belts and kids

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McDojo in all its glory...

It speaks for itself.

Also, I thought maybe the video was sped up to add insult to injury, especially the kata part. Nope. Look at the people in the background/crowd moving at normal speed.

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently my school is a mc dojo. I train at GKR but I've been yellow belt for about 1-2 years now and there are no kids with black belts. I didn't have the money to buy a gi so they even donated one for me.

Yes, yes it is. Your sparring is non contact, making contact is ESSENTIAL when sparring.

You need to learn to take hits as well as deliver. But if you're happy training with them, then fair play to you. If not, go to another dojo and learn properly.

Well i think our class is different or corrupt because they let yellow belt and above contact just not white belts and kids

Get out of there. Train somewhere else properly, I got a Mae Geri to my stomach recently and it felt good to be able to take a hit. In the outside world, your opponent WILL try to hurt or even kill you. The chances are you're gonna get hit as well. That's why either full or semi contact is an necessity in kumite.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

Get out of there. Train somewhere else properly, I got a Mae Geri to my stomach recently and it felt good to be able to take a hit. In the outside world, your opponent WILL try to hurt or even kill you. The chances are you're gonna get hit as well. That's why either full or semi contact is an necessity in kumite.

Maybe his dojo is the exception?

I hear mixed reviews about GKR.

A friend of mine was a yellow belt when he was handed a Black belt with a white stripe and given his own club to run!

That says it all to me really.

I hear mixed reviews about GKR.

A friend of mine was a yellow belt when he was handed a Black belt with a white stripe and given his own club to run!

That says it all to me really.

Ouch; how sad, all at the same time!!

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have had three experiances with Go-Kan-Ryu.

1. A bunch of children who had graded to blue belt, but had to change clubs as they were moving from primary to secondary school and the GKR was a school club; I had to actually teach them how to get through an actual karate class the first five or so sessions they trained with us. All of them eventually gave up, because their initial experience of Karate was nothing like actual karate. Now, I was an assistant instructor at a club at the time designed for children with a good retention level.

2. A guy who came to a karate society I ran at university; he had a black-belt with a white stripe. I had to start him from scratch regarding kumite; he struggled even under sundome rules. However, he stuck it out and became one of the better fighters in the society by graduation.

3. A third Dan who came to my door advertising he was starting a new club. To be fair he was at least shodan level in a relative sense, but not the quality I would expect out of a third dan. After a hour of exchanging techniques and ideas; I converted him to the idea of coming to train with me in my garden dojo, instead of trying to convince me to do Go-Kan-Ryu.

To be fair, he made every session arranged, took private lessons with a Goju-Ryu instructor I know, and went to a Shotokan club I directed him to. Became a very competent fighter in full contact, and corrected his kata to a very high standard.

So, I have seen both good and bad; but of the adults I have encountered GKR did at least instill in them a love of karate. However, some of the dubious practices, which I believe have mostly been stamped out, have left a black mark. Especially in the UK where there was a lot of job advertisement promising a black belt, and instructor position, after a short training course. It was not proper employment but rather a pyramid scheme designed for quick expansion.

Are Go-Kan-Ryu a McDojo; it has had problems but from what I can tell it has become a more reputable body. It still has it's bad eggs as it were, but so do all organisations.

R. Keith Williams