• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bag work

Judodad_karateson

Seeing as we are on the subject of heavy bags, I've been trying to find a heavy bag for a while, but I'm kinda limited on space plus I've only found vinyl bags at most sporting goods stores. What would you guys suggest?

Everlast all the way! I'm strongly against free standing bags, they don't have the same feel they don't have low striking space, the base makes getting in close impossible and a good kick sends most of them to the floor.

Do you have the capability to hand one in your home? If not, Look into some stands.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 150lb 6ft Muay Thai bag from Outslayer, and it is fantastic. I would never buy anything else, now that I've used it. It's heavy enough to give good feedback and resistance, dense enough to have a conditioning effect, soft enough to prevent injury, smooth enough to not tear your hands up, and tall enough to work strikes from ankles to head.

I think I have used gloves or wraps just a handful of times, but usually only if I have some kind of injury with my hands. I really don't like using them--they mess up my alignment and change the feel of the strikes, plus the slapping sound of gloves tends to make you think you're hitting harder than you are. If you get a bag heavier than about 50lbs, you probably shouldn't start hitting it as hard as you can bareknuckle, because you'll hurt your hands, but you can build up to it. I've gotten to the point where I can do about 20 minutes of bagwork with no ill effects. Much longer than that, and my knuckles will tend to bruise, but it's not the end of the world.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society