• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for a martial arts

Whats up everyone.

SO I am thinking of giving up Ninjutsu training. I use DVDs for training, but i feel like there is not enough material for me. Plus I do not like all the disputes over lineages and if Ninjutsu is authentic.

What I am looking for is martial arts for self defense mainly and of course martial arts for my mind and spirit. I was thinking of looking into Kyokushin Karate, but I am not sure. Are there any suggestions?

Overall when it comes to self defense I would like to train with a way that uses many different ranges, such as long range, trapping ranges, grappling etc.

I look forward to your responses

Thanks Fam :karate:

A religion, when based on faith developed through experience, a broad and questing mind, and an unflagging pursuit of universal understanding, is of inspiration and comfort to people. Once a religion loses its original focus, however, it becomes a deadly thing with which to deceive, control, and tax the people through the manipulation of their beliefs and fears. It is the same with the martial arts. - Toshitsugu Takamatsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You ask the million dollar question...which MA should I learn? I believe that the MA is a personal journey, and while I can rattle off many MA choice off from the parameters you've set forth in your OP, I will try to remain unbiased to my core style, in which, I believe it's quite effective, but as with any other style of the MA, it's limited; it lacks everything because everything hasn't been found, yet...hence the personal journey.

The plethora of MA styles would boggle the minds, and that's where the million dollar question begins. Judo, BJJ, Karate this and that, TKD this and that, and so on and so forth. This provides this, but this doesn't provide that in what it is that you're looking for in a MA. Imho, there's no one style to choose; the choices are overwhelming.

Start visiting the schools of those MA styles that have piqued your interest, but visit them over and over again until you slowly, but for sure, wind down your choices to the final few. Speak with the students/parents, and of course, with the CI of that school. A complete picture of what you're seeking will appear, but in time. Just don't rush into it.

Look at BJJ; you'll need grappling because most fights end up on the ground. After that, find a striking MA that fits your fancy; but that is a very wide scope to narrow down.

The choice is a personal one; good luck. Sorry if my advice isn't what you're looking for!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Have you done much research on what schools are in/around your area?

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

This is great advice.

1) Find out what schools are in your area. Why waste hours or days deciding you want to study say, Goju Ryu Karate when the closest school is 50 miles away?

2) Once you find what schools are in your area, research into those styles a little bit (I'd not spend too much time doing it). For example, if you hate grappling you can cross BJJ schools from the list, if you hate kicks, you might want to skip taekwondo...

3) Once you narrow your list of schools to a certain style or group of styles, go check each school out! Pick the one you like the most.

This is great advice.

1) Find out what schools are in your area. Why waste hours or days deciding you want to study say, Goju Ryu Karate when the closest school is 50 miles away?

2) Once you find what schools are in your area, research into those styles a little bit (I'd not spend too much time doing it). For example, if you hate grappling you can cross BJJ schools from the list, if you hate kicks, you might want to skip taekwondo...

3) Once you narrow your list of schools to a certain style or group of styles, go check each school out! Pick the one you like the most.

Solid post!!

Narrow the search to the top 3, if where you live will allow you to do that, incase if once you're at the school you decided upon, it doesn't work out for some reason(s).

Edited by sensei8

Before asking that question, there are many others that must be considered and well thought out. First of all and most importantly are questions such as:

Which martial arts are taught within your territory? Always start to look at what is available first. Search the phone directory and online. Visit as many schools and instructors as you can spare the time to manage.

What is a reasonable distance to travel to reach the training place?

How much resources are available for spending on training and instruction?

The answers to these questions will give a more precise idea of the choices and possibilities. Advice to train in MA X is useless if the nearest instructor is two states away.

Before asking that question, there are many others that must be considered and well thought out. First of all and most importantly are questions such as:

Which martial arts are taught within your territory? Always start to look at what is available first. Search the phone directory and online. Visit as many schools and instructors as you can spare the time to manage.

What is a reasonable distance to travel to reach the training place?

How much resources are available for spending on training and instruction?

The answers to these questions will give a more precise idea of the choices and possibilities. Advice to train in MA X is useless if the nearest instructor is two states away.

Solid post!! In addition, consider your work schedule versus class times as well as travel time.

You were right in feeling that DVDs are insufficient training, and good on you for realising it. DVD training should be a supplement at most.

As for what you should study, it depends on what is available in your area. The most important thing to consider should be which training you enjoy the most, if it isn't fun it probably isn't worth it. If I were you I would try out the schools near you (most will have a free or inexpensive trial lesson) and make your decision after that.

That said, if you let us know what you find in your area (ideally some details about what the training is like in the places you enjoyed) and we can give our personal opinions.

on that note, I hear Kyokushin is a reliable style. I've heard the training is consistently of high quality.

Also consider Judo, which is always available within a convenient distance, affordable, and almost always good quality (and as an added bonus you learn how to fall safely, which is arguably more useful than fighting skill).

Guess what. The OP's posting profile says Ann Arbor MI and there are literally over a hundred things to choose from in that area. Being completely unacquainted with USA, I did a 1 minute search on yellowpages.com and at least a hundred listings turned up for MA training gyms/dojos. Everything from MMA to taekwondo, and that is just the ones that are listed. If the OP still is not satisfied after looking through those, there is always the next town over.