• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okinawan Nunchaku

While I'm still (mostly) new to Karate, I'm one of those who personally thinks that learning at least one weapon form is essential. As much as a sword guy I am, though, I've fallen in love with the Nunchaku, or the Okinawan Kobudo style of it. I have no transportation, so I can't actively seek out any dojos that teach Kobudo. Having said that, I still really want to learn the style.

The only ways I'm able to learn any of the techniques are though videos online, or through books. Are there any here who could recommend either a good instructional video and/or book? Or even any training tips? It'll be much appreciated. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Those are the main videos I've been training with. :) Those are probably the best videos on the Nunchacku I can find. Much of the other videos I come across are either what I consider the "Kung Fu" style, or are more about teaching tricks with Nunchaku. Good videos like the ones you posted seem to be hard to find.

Fumio Demura wrote books on just about all the Kobudo weapons. He has one on nunchaku that would probably give you what you are looking for.

Yes, Fumio Demura...an excellent as well as a formidable Kubudo instructor!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Another formidable Kobudo instructor...excellent choice, as well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Fumio Demura's name rings a bell. I'll definitely look into this. And I do enjoy Nishiuchi Sensei's videos on the subject; simple and to-the-point.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, guys! Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I am very grateful. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to bump a dead thread, but I ordered Fumio Demura's "Nunchaku: Karate Weapon of Self-Defense", and just got it in the mail yesterday. So far, a very good and informative book. So glad I got it. :)

THANK GOD somebody is teaching the use of the nunchaku CORRECTLY!!!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Don't mean to bump a dead thread, but I ordered Fumio Demura's "Nunchaku: Karate Weapon of Self-Defense", and just got it in the mail yesterday. So far, a very good and informative book. So glad I got it. :)

I think he also has books on Sai, Bo, and Tonfa. You might check into them, too.