• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Karate Styles Do You Train In?

Doomed

Shindokan not Seido; although the Tuite's are quite similar!!

No, Shindokan isn't based on Aikido. Nonetheless, the mechanics of our Tuite is what is seen.

:)

My bad, Sensei8. ^__^' Out of curiosity, what are the main differences between Shindokan and Seido? I recall you saying Shindokan was mainly hand strikes, but what about Seido?

Fair enough. It made me think of it a bit, so I had to ask. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I decided to firmly plant my roots in Kanzen Ryu Karate, I dabbled a little bit in both Kyokushin and Shotokan, and trained in the "Upper Body/Lower Body" techniques of Isshin Ryu for a few months. Just the Kihon, though. This all took place at home via DVDs or YouTube, so I took what I could get lol.

What style(s) of Karate do you train in, or have previously trained in? And are there any particular reasons why your styles of choice drew you to them?

Kanzen Ryu of varasteh ? interesting ,who was your instructor if I may ask .

I am from shotokan school , my older cousin who I kind of looked up to got me going and I just was lucky to be in one of the best shotokan dojos anywhere .

never give up !

I am from shotokan school , my older cousin who I kind of looked up to got me going and I just was lucky to be in one of the best shotokan dojos anywhere .

No, even though they share the name. The style I speak of was created by Master John Bryan, who's based in the UK. It's grounded in Goju Ryu, with elements of Shotokan and Wado Ryu.

Shotokan is always a popular Karate style, and for good reason. While you're training, I highly recommend picking up "Karate-Do: My Way of Life" by Master Gichin Funakoshi if you haven't yet; He founded Shotokan and introduced Karate to Japan in the 1920's. Great read, and it would undoubtedly impress your instructors if you were to know the style's origins. Karate is about physical and mental discipline, after all. :)

No, even though they share the name. The style I speak of was created by Master John Bryan, who's based in the UK. It's grounded in Goju Ryu, with elements of Shotokan and Wado Ryu.

Shotokan is always a popular Karate style, and for good reason. While you're training, I highly recommend picking up "Karate-Do: My Way of Life" by Master Gichin Funakoshi if you haven't yet; He founded Shotokan and introduced Karate to Japan in the 1920's. Great read, and it would undoubtedly impress your instructors if you were to know the style's origins. Karate is about physical and mental discipline, after all. :)

Thanks for your reply , as far as I know Kanzen ryu was founded by Farhad Varasteh in late 1960s based on Goju ryu and elements of shotokan and wado ryu as you mentioned .

He currently lives in Canada and I believe his son and daughter are following his tradition .

My sensei was a student of master Enoeda 8th dan JKA and also trained at the infamous JKA instructor course in Japan back in the 1970s alongside such masters like Yahara ,Osaka , Tanaka under supervision of shihan Nakayama.

He is himself like an encyclopedia of shotokan karate .

I have not read the book you mentioned but I have the one by Nakayama sensei which is like the text book of shotokan .

never give up !

• 3 weeks later...

I trained in Goju-ryu when younger, however the club wasn't very well run and I stopped after a few years.

Later on I trained in Ashihara, however the teacher disappeared one day and never returned!

Finally, I took up Wado-ryu and am enjoying it immensely.

What style(s) of Karate do you train in, or have previously trained in?

Shindokan Saitou-ryu: 50+ years

TKD: 1 Year [While I was in high school]

And are there any particular reasons why your styles of choice drew you to them?

Shindokan: My mom enrolled me when I was 7 at one of the local dojo's that was closest to our house.

TKD: I wanted to learn how to kick above the waist.

What style(s) of Karate do you train in, or have previously trained in?

Shindokan Saitou-ryu: 50+ years

TKD: 1 Year [While I was in high school]

And are there any particular reasons why your styles of choice drew you to them?

Shindokan: My mom enrolled me when I was 7 at one of the local dojo's that was closest to our house.

TKD: I wanted to learn how to kick above the waist.

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have trained in Shotokan for 12 years. Availability of Karate clubs in my area was more the reason I started training Shotokan.

I also trained in Wado Ryu up until Green belt before I joined the Army in 1994, after that nothing until starting with Shotokan in 2003.