• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rolling Side Mount Escape to Punch Choke

I like seeing all the points being made here, for and against the practicalities of this technique.

One thing I try to remember about the BJJ techniques I see, no matter how crazy they appear, is that none of them, none of them, happen in a vacuum. Not like a fancy TKD kick that can be done outside of sparring for board breaking, or in a freestyle form. If you are seeing a BJJ technique being taught, its not because someone thought it was a fancy technique done in a one-step type of an environment. It was most likely trained in a free-rolling environment, and pulled off multiple times in that environment, against various levels of skill and experience in the opponents, and then refined and the kinks worked out, so that you know that it CAN work. Not that it always will, but it CAN.

This is a great point and it can't be stressed enough. BJJ is CONSTANTLY pressure tested. From very nearly day one you're moving against a resistive human being. The value in that can't be understated. Particularly when you look at the sensitivity to movement that it build after years of practice.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt