• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tabletop Gaming: Do You Game?

CredoTe

Another thread contains a great discussion about the sacrifices one makes to follow MA. Well, during the course of the discussion, the topic of Dungeons & Dragons and other tabletop gaming came up (the discussion can be viewed here: http://www.karateforums.com/sacrifice-for-martial-arts-vt48290-10.html).

So, I decided to start a new topic (to avoid swerving too far off OP in the other thread)...

What tabletop / hobby gaming do you play? It can be of any category (RPG, strategy, war, etc), and trading card games (i.e. Magic: The Gathering, Yu-gi-oh, etc) and traditional boardgames are welcome, too. However, no video / computer games; let's keep it strictly to tabletop / hobby gaming.

For example, I play 1st/2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons (aka Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, or AD&D), Hero Quest, Dragon Strike, and Battle Masters, just to name a few.

So, in order to begin, we all must retrieve a d10 and roll for initiative...

Er...

I mean, go!

:D

EDIT: 26 May 2015 ~13:21 EDT, added "Tabletop Gaming" to the thread title.

Edited by CredoTe

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play quite a bit of 2nd edition, and then a little 3rd edition, but got out of it when other priorities took over and I just didn't have the time to put into it.

I also played quite a bit of Magic, The Gathering, and really, really enjoyed it. I still have a bunch of cards and decks, but just couldn't keep up with the production of the sets to keep putting money into it, especially as a casual player.

Great call, CredoTe!

My mainstay was DnD. 1e thru HS and most of college with some 2e input. Let's face it, Gygax had some non-sense in 1e :)

I did a stint in 3e and it was pretty cool. The addition of power mongering splat books started to wear on me though. That said, the feat trees and skill customization was money.

By the time 4e was getting popular I was a kid into it and a second close behind. The minimal exposure I had was enough to not really care for it. Defiantly a different flavor. I can't imagine I'll ever look at 5. Now, if someone breaks out an older version and I'm free that's a different story :)

I played a few other role players in college but really none held on once the real world took over like DnD did.

I am glad you mentioned Hero Quest because I burned a lot of time on that really simple, really really FUN game. I managed to find a copy for my kids and we enjoy it occasionally.

I tabletop wargamed a bit when Lord of the Rings released their mini game thru GW. But never really deep.

My first job was painting for a small fantasy miniatures company just down the road from me which ended up becoming Games Workshop. These days I play mainly historical (or pseudo-historical) wargames. My main periods are Classical Greece through to the late medieval era and a secondary interest in imaginary eighteenth century nations played with 1960s style miniatures and old-school rules. My other vice is Subbuteo, table soccer of the flick-to-kick variety using 1970s style teams I paint myself. Oh for the days when footballers didn't look like mobile advertising boards...

My youngest daughter and her husband tried to get me interested in Magic, but the parameters was more than my pea-brain could grasp, even though I won the one and only game, with my youngest daughters help.

This one can do this but can't do that, especially if it's on a Tuesday providing that you have this one card, but it can be defeated still because she had a card that brought back the Star Ship Enterprise from some place that's under a spell, and depending on what the die/dice had and 3 minus 2 plus 7. Sheesh...mommy!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My first tabletop RPG was 1st ed. AD&D, then pursued 3rd ed. after that. After getting frustrated with the alignment system and the lack of creativity in the system, I over the years moved on to different systems such as White Wolf, Rifts, d10 keep system, and so on. So far my most favorite systems are the d6 keep system that Green Ronin uses, the d10 keep system that companies like AEG and White Wolf uses, and the Tri-Stat system that games suck as Hong Kong Action Theatre! (yes, it actually exists and it's awesome!) uses.

I'm currently running a Game of Thrones campaign that Green Ronin publishes and is a great system for those that love creativity.

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

Man Rifts! I had forgot about that. Makes me want to go pull out those books! I remember loving the setting while hating the mechanics. The sheer amount of die rolls to resolve a combat was crazy even at entry levels of the game. But man the SAMAS armor was cool!

Great thread, CredoTe. :) Enjoying the discussion, thus far.

After a long time of not playing any tabletop games, a couple of years ago, my family and I (especially me and my brothers), really got back into it. Mainly motivated by my brother Sean. I actually registered tabletopforums.com and boardgameforums.com a while back. Haha.

Yesterday, we played The Offensive Band Name Generator for the first time and began a game of Risk: Metal Gear Solid going right now. I say began because it's currently on a table a few feet away from me. It was our first game of Risk ever and we had to sift through the rules for quite a while. It's actually simpler than the rules make it sound, though. At least I think so. Haha. We'll pick it up again soon and finish that game.

Some of the games I enjoy, from recent memory: King of New York, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, The Red Dragon Inn, Munchkin, The Logo Board game, Catchphrase (does that count?), Loaded Questions and Schmovie. I also own several other games, including Pandemic and 7 Wonders, but have only played Pandemic once. The rules of 7 Wonders just sort of washed over me. :lol:

After a long time of not playing any tabletop games, a couple of years ago, my family and I (especially me and my brothers), really got back into it. Mainly motivated by my brother Sean. I actually registered tabletopforums.com and boardgameforums.com a while back. Haha.

Yesterday, we played The Offensive Band Name Generator for the first time and began a game of Risk: Metal Gear Solid going right now. I say began because it's currently on a table a few feet away from me. It was our first game of Risk ever and we had to sift through the rules for quite a while. It's actually simpler than the rules make it sound, though. At least I think so. Haha. We'll pick it up again soon and finish that game.

Some of the games I enjoy, from recent memory: King of New York, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, The Red Dragon Inn, Munchkin, The Logo Board game, Catchphrase (does that count?), Loaded Questions and Schmovie. I also own several other games, including Pandemic and 7 Wonders, but have only played Pandemic once. The rules of 7 Wonders just sort of washed over me. :lol:

Ah, Risk! Only Axis and Allies can turn adults into bickering children quicker! :lol:

Love both of them!

Ah, Risk! Only Axis and Allies can turn adults into bickering children quicker! :lol:

Love both of them!

Yes, I agree. I've not played Risk in awhile...love it!!

I'm not rated, but I play a mean game of Chess. My brother, Donald, use to be rated quite high in Chess, and I've not beat him...ever...he toys with me. DORK!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!