• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unworthy or undesirable students

From my experience, there are only a few kinds of people or personalities who are truly and absolutely unredeemable. Even punks can change if they are not past a certain point. As a youth and a teenager, petty crime and violence were part of my daily routine. It is entirely due to training and the dojo environment as well as harsh lessons from my sensei that I eventually left that path. Perhaps it is because the good was still to be found somewhere.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience, there are only a few kinds of people or personalities who are truly and absolutely unredeemable. Even punks can change if they are not past a certain point. As a youth and a teenager, petty crime and violence were part of my daily routine. It is entirely due to training and the dojo environment as well as harsh lessons from my sensei that I eventually left that path. Perhaps it is because the good was still to be found somewhere.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I teach mostly children as I have a great deal of patience. I have a new one recently that likes to do push-ups, he hasn't stated that but his attitude while I'm teaching class is what makes you do push-ups. And he does a lot. It's not undesirable though, I want that. I want to have an opportunity to influence kids to have a more apropriate attitude.

I do however have undesirable parents. Ones that have attitudes that I can't change and have that opportunity because they watch class and don't take it. Ones that ask me for their kids to skip belts and get upset when I don't do it, or get mad because they feel their kid is ready but most instructors would agree they are not. Yes, I have undesirable parents BUT as luck would have it, they have removed themselves from the program more often then not, as if it wasn't up to their standard what ever that is. It's not for everybody and that's fine. I just reach for the idea that people show respect weather they continue or not.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I think the major factor is that the person has to be willing to change. In my experience, far and away, most individuals aren't willing to make the change, or make the sacrifices necessary to facilitate those changes. I love to see the success stories, because they are so few and far between.

I think the major factor is that the person has to be willing to change. In my experience, far and away, most individuals aren't willing to make the change, or make the sacrifices necessary to facilitate those changes. I love to see the success stories, because they are so few and far between.

Great post, I would like to state even though this is a very solid post that I have a Little voice in the back of my head always say "don't give up on people "! In the end though I'm wrong more than I'm right but there's always those few!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I'm a school teacher (grades 5-8 science). I've found that the "problem children" are truly a product of their environment. I'll get a kid who's a handful, then I'll meet the parents. No matter how hard I try, I only have them for an hour or so tops in a day. I feel like anything meaningful I've done with them gets completely undone at home.

After a while, they know how to act around me and that I won't tolerate a lack of respect. I show them respect from day 1, and expect it in return.

Please don't take that as I'm the tough teacher. On the contrary, I'm the "chill teacher" according to most students. It's all in the delivery. When even the worst kid knows you've got their best interest at heart, you'll notice their efforts and achievements (even if they're miniscule and you'll show a little compromise, they'll actually work hard to please you.

It's about proving you're not out to get them like they think everyone else is.