• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor credibility

That's a good point. Many laypersons choose a school and see if it'll fit their own personal social ethos or not, then, decide from that. Too many students, they shy away from that. Too few, they make assumptions. No, at times choosing a school of the MA is akin to what Goldie Locks did when she visited the three Bears house.

:)

Definitely! I know that some of our newest members joined because of a very good first impression with regards to atmosphere. They wanted to have fun while doing sports, credentials didn't seem to matter at all.

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good point. Many laypersons choose a school and see if it'll fit their own personal social ethos or not, then, decide from that. Too many students, they shy away from that. Too few, they make assumptions. No, at times choosing a school of the MA is akin to what Goldie Locks did when she visited the three Bears house.

Definitely! I know that some of our newest members joined because of a very good first impression with regards to atmosphere. They wanted to have fun while doing sports, credentials didn't seem to matter at all.

And we instructors only have that one chance at first impressions...good one or a bad one!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If a teacher or school's first impression for the layperson depends on the number of students, this cannot apply to one that is just starting out. In that case the place is what makes the difference.

Surely it can. Over the many years, I've had prospective student not join because the size of my student body. It, too some can be intimidating.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When one starts teaching, what would bring the first layperson into the doors to join? Are new instructors or schools intimidating to the public and more difficult to find credible because they are new? It is very hard to think and remember why I started where I started. The reason I continued training certainly had something to do with the instructor's personality, though.

For me, I just went to the closest school - it looked professional enough based on the website and facilities, and I just the first free classes to determine whether the atmosphere and level of training were my cup of tea.

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

In the city I lived in there were many dojos teaching karate and three public Kung fu schools two of which were a variety of mantis style. I had already done Shotokan as an after school program for a very brief period between age 10 and 12 so I knew that I wanted karate and as a bonus it was close to home. My siblings had gym memberships so I asked for karate instead because the fees were nearly equal.