• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor credibility

Thinking back to when I first set foot in a dojo, I recall reading and hearing the sensei's rank. At that time I was not fully aware that there was several degrees of blackbelt. Like most people, my entire reference on martial arts consisted of popular action movies and a few books on the subject.

For all I knew, a blackbelt was an instructor. Not necessarily a fierce expert fighter with super abilities, but someone who was good enough to teach. Perhaps it is enough for the public to know that an instructor holds a blackbelt or some sort of equivalent. Would students go to a school were there is no mention at all anywhere of the instructor's grade, experience etc?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all I knew, a blackbelt was an instructor. Not necessarily a fierce expert fighter with super abilities, but someone who was good enough to teach. Perhaps it is enough for the public to know that an instructor holds a blackbelt or some sort of equivalent. Would students go to a school were there is no mention at all anywhere of the instructor's grade, experience etc?

To the bold, I don't think so. Even the general public understands that most people providing a service have some sort of system in place that ensures they are learning from someone with some adequate experience in the field. I think most people will seek out this information, even if they don't know what it means.

To the bold, I don't think so. Even the general public understands that most people providing a service have some sort of system in place that ensures they are learning from someone with some adequate experience in the field. I think most people will seek out this information, even if they don't know what it means.

Not to be argumentative but what about the MMA schools? I have seen a few where the owner was a fairly young guy without much experience. I think it may depend on who is looking and what they are looking for. Some of the schools I have seen are more of a work out gym that does MMA or BJJ but are not really MA schools, I think in those cases people don't care about instructor qualifications as long as they seem like they can fight. I think also that in these cases the students are just looking to fight rather than learn MA and everything that goes with it. Quite possible that these places attract some of the "undesirable" students being discussed in another thread right now.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Not to be argumentative but what about the MMA schools? I have seen a few where the owner was a fairly young guy without much experience. I think it may depend on who is looking and what they are looking for. Some of the schools I have seen are more of a work out gym that does MMA or BJJ but are not really MA schools, I think in those cases people don't care about instructor qualifications as long as they seem like they can fight. I think also that in these cases the students are just looking to fight rather than learn MA and everything that goes with it. Quite possible that these places attract some of the "undesirable" students being discussed in another thread right now.

Most MMA schools in my area advertise the staff's competitive records and their students' records/accomplishments.

I think the qualifications/certifications/records get people in the door to visit, but most people ask themselves if the instructors can truly defend themselves or if they're frauds. Not that inexperienced prospects are the best judges of this, but they've got a pretty good idea for the most part.

Then again, if the public was truly well informed, the McDojos would be urban legend.

I'm guessing this is more the exception rather than the rule, but that's just me guessing. Some people are just looking for fitness, and they will find it. And there are some "fight clubs" out there, too. But I think the high percentage of the places out there have some legitimate credentials, even if they are not elite credentials.

I have seen a few dojos and schools where a causal observer or potential student coming in would have a difficult time identifying the instructor at first glance. These were all very traditional Chinese, or other East Asian systems. In cases like these the instructors probably depended on reputation alone, because unless asked their credentials were never mentioned anywhere. To know their skill level one had to watch them move.

While I've mentioned before, in the USA, according to USA Laws, anyone can open a school of the MA. Consumers, for the most part, I pray, aren't that uneducated in areas of this, and most certainly, concerning what they're looking for.

I believe the layperson might not intentionally seek out a 5th Dan and above, but if the layperson has done some type of a Google Search, then quickly decide that a 5th Dan is much higher than a 3rd Dan, and thereby, being more drawn towards that school. Who wants to learn from a teacher with a Bachelors when a teacher with a PhD is available. [i'm not comparing Ranks to college degrees, if ones wondering]

Credibility, for a new student that a layperson, will decide from what he/she knows from hours of self-research and surfing the web. Credibility is more sought after by other MA, and not the layperson!!

Adorn the walls until they're dripping off and oozing down the wall, but platitudes are poor representation of credibility in a school's CI. No, proof is ON THE FLOOR!!

Yes, double and triple and quadruple check potential instructors until one's satisfied in what they're seeking...then TRAIN HARD!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think most laypersons would just look at how busy the school is; the amount of students, classes, etc.

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

In today's world, the Martial Arts school is a business. Unfortunately, a person's ability to open and run a school does not have to correlate with actually ability in the martial arts.

I have always said that the caliber of instructor matters more than rank, style, ect. As far as judging the caliber of the instructor, I think I have to quote sensei8 in saying "Proof is on the floor".

Van

I think most laypersons would just look at how busy the school is; the amount of students, classes, etc.

That's a good point. Many laypersons choose a school and see if it'll fit their own personal social ethos or not, then, decide from that. Too many students, they shy away from that. Too few, they make assumptions. No, at times choosing a school of the MA is akin to what Goldie Locks did when she visited the three Bears house.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!