• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sacrifice for martial arts

Yes, great OP... :)

Biggest compromise of other passtime things: I'm a nerd, so time given up to things like computers, gaming (D&D anyone?), and video games...

Most difficult sacrifice: time with my family (wife & daughter)...

:karate:

I'm so glad someone said this! Haven't played for years.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been at this awhile in one capacity or another for awhile There's been a significant amount of changes over time between the 16 year old I was when I started and the 42 year old that is looking back right now.

As with everyone, a normal social life is a thing of the past. This was true early, it's even more true now owning my own place. Sheer volume mandates I don't go out as often as I used to.

I've learned as I've gotten older to pick carefully. Spare time shenanigans is the safest bet (and the odd game of DnD :) ) In the past, relationships have fallen victim, family time, etc.

Getting a handle on doing this in a healthy manner isn't always easy. Like anything, you can go thru phases where this sort of thing can dominate your life if you let it. That's okay in small doses, a fight, tournament, testing, etc. However, it can't go on all the time.

I've learned as I've gotten older to pick carefully. Spare time shenanigans is the safest bet (and the odd game of DnD :) ) In the past, relationships have fallen victim, family time, etc.

Agreed... Picking and choosing which "battles" ("spare time shenanigans", as you put it :) ) to engage in is the key. (And, D&D has become an "odd" thing, too, IMO... up to 5th Edition; our group sticks with a blend of the old 1st and 2nd Editions...)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Agreed... Picking and choosing which "battles" ("spare time shenanigans", as you put it :) ) to engage in is the key. (And, D&D has become an "odd" thing, too, IMO... up to 5th Edition; our group sticks with a blend of the old 1st and 2nd Editions...)

I played 2nd edition and a bit of 3rd edition under a great GM. If it just wasn't so damned time consuming...

This is a great topic!

I actually don't feel like I've sacrificed anything apart from time with my Partner, if anything I've sacrificed a lot more by choosing to work!

If I'm training particularly hard however, I find that it's hard to find the time to do things like Gardening, Cleaning (though I always make time for that), DIY etc, so I do feel like I've sacrificed the time I would have spent on all that.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

I played 2nd edition and a bit of 3rd edition under a great GM. If it just wasn't so damned time consuming...

Hehehe... We call it the "Wayne's World Timewarp"... As soon as you break out the books, dice, and character sheets - doo-doo-doo-doo...doo-doo-doo-doo (space-time continuum blurring and waving)... It's 2 days later! Lol... :lol:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Hehehe... We call it the "Wayne's World Timewarp"... As soon as you break out the books, dice, and character sheets - doo-doo-doo-doo...doo-doo-doo-doo (space-time continuum blurring and waving)... It's 2 days later! Lol... :lol:

I currently play Pathfinder once a week. I love table tops, they definitely make you forget about time (and how early you have to wake up the next morning).

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I currently play Pathfinder once a week. I love table tops, they definitely make you forget about time (and how early you have to wake up the next morning).

So true. Did my time in 3E but really still have a soft spot for 1/2 :lol:

So true. Did my time in 3E but really still have a soft spot for 1/2 :lol:

The first and second ed are really special to me. They have this magic and mystery that I think that the later editions (to be fair, I have not played 5E as of yet) have failed to recreate in whole.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

There are no sacrifices when one is doing what one has dedicated their entire life to!!

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!