• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I finally got my wife to train with me!!

I am so excited that I wanted to post about it. We have been married for 12 years now and I have mentioned over and over again how much I would love if she would allow me to teach her some MA. Today I was working on some of my older curriculum and asked her to read the steps of the kata as I did them so that I didn't have to hold the book while doing the moves. She did that and then I said, "ya know I could teach you some stuff if you want" and she actually said, sure!

I went over the absolute basics with her, we worked on a couple of strikes, stances, and foot positions. Afterwords she said it was pretty fun and not as hard as she thought! I am super happy, it took me a long time to get her here. I guess she is my first official student!

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's AWESOME; better late than never!!

Teach her...be very patient!! Anything else will put you in the dog house, and I don't need to tell you that. She's your "first official student", and that's cool, but before that, she's your wife.

I hope it works out better for you than it did with me!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That's AWESOME; better late than never!!

Teach her...be very patient!! Anything else will put you in the dog house, and I don't need to tell you that. She's your "first official student", and that's cool, but before that, she's your wife.

I hope it works out better for you than it did with me!!

Thank you for the well wishes, so far it is awesome! She is dedicated to doing it and really putting in the effort. I have been super patient with her and she has not had the slightest inclination to quit. It's a great experience.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Very cool! Congratulations!

My wife has, a few times, had me show her a few things. She doesn't actively train, though. It's usually just helping her hit pads or the heavy bag, or showing her some self defense techniques. Whatever she feels like doing. It doesn't happen very often, though, unfortunately.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nice one!

The furthest I got was teaching my better half to kick to the balls, and some wrist grab escapes. No formal training though!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Everyone who has considered it knows that teaching one's children is very challenging but I would put teaching a spouse above that in difficulty level.

Teaching a few things here and there is not a bad idea but the husband and wife dynamic will interfere with anything more. There are only a handful of people who have trained their spouse in their martial art, but it is not impossible if both are equally willing and determined to train seriously.

Everyone who has considered it knows that teaching one's children is very challenging but I would put teaching a spouse above that in difficulty level.

Teaching a few things here and there is not a bad idea but the husband and wife dynamic will interfere with anything more. There are only a handful of people who have trained their spouse in their martial art, but it is not impossible if both are equally willing and determined to train seriously.

You have a valid point. My kids were nearly impossible to teach, they took it as "play time with daddy" and I couldn't get anywhere with them. My wife however is doing really well. There isn't any awkwardness which I thought there would be. We are very close so neither of us get frustrated with the other, she's trying hard and I am taking it easy on her! I am able to work on things slowly with her since we have lots of time, what would normally happen in a 40 minute class we do over about 3 hours.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Formalities don't exist when teaching one's wife. One can forget that, and apply them, more out of habit than anything else. But, when one forgets that, one's wife will be quick to issue a reminder...OR ELSE!!

Habits are hard to die, but let them die before it's too late.

This post is a general post not directed towards any particular individual.

**Proof is on the floor!!!