• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should I join the dojo?

pepipox

I'd go for it. It does sound like the pros outweigh the cons. Badmouthing can be a bad sign, but hard feelings between neighboring dojos isn't that uncommon. The dojo being welcoming is a good counter to this. If she's accredited, I assume she's not too far of normal. And it sounds like you can manage the fees.

Hiyashiha (Potentially Incorrect Spelling; therefore my apologies)

It's commonly spelled "Hayashi-ha", a branch of Shito-Ryu founded by Teruo Hayashi.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmm, based on personal experience I personally would look elsewhere because there are 2 points you listed which is a put off for some.

Modifying Kata is a no no for one. Badmouthing other dojos is NOT good etiquette. I wouldn't bother.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

She is inventing and making her own versions of the kata?

Pass...

Go find a real teacher.

What is wrong with modifying the kata if it fits the bunkai she is teaching? The kata are not meant to be static, they are meant to grow and adapt.

Also, the head instructor should be teaching the kata that fit what she is trying to get acrossed - it is the head instructor's privilege to pick and choose which kata fit what she is teaching. It is the bunkai that is important, not the kata themselves.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky